anyone have an iPod?

bluesForBartok

indexipod_20040719a.gif

Apple announced the new iPods this morning.

20 gig model drops in price to $299!

:tup  :tup  :tup

I own the Creative Labs Nomand Jukebox Zex Xtra - 40 gig model.

A portable pocket-sized digital audio player with 40GB of storage space / USB 2.0-1.1 Port / Stylish silver case

$249.88 :ph34r:

Edited by 7/4

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love my iPod. I got a 15G model over the spring, while I still had a student discount. (Turns out you can apply the same student discount usually reserved for Macs to iPods as well.) B)

I've found that 15G is quite enough. That's a lot of shit, man. If you keep tabs on your playlist, you can always switch stuff out. The trap most folks fall into is dumping several box sets that they don't listen to in there. They take up a lot of room. I have the Harry Smith Smithsonian set in there and most of the Dolphy and that's it. Believe me, playing it cool with the box sets will save you a lot of room as will taking it easy on titles that "you'll want to play eventually". If it's been in there since you've owned your iPod and you haven't listened to it.....get it outta there.

Edited by Brandon Burke

I have a 15 gig iPod. My primary goal was to put every Thelonious Monk cd I have on it and now I've got 1.7 days of Monk stored (5.59 gigs). I used the highest bit rate (320) and with some Sennheiser headphones, everything sounds pretty good. And using the smart playlist option, I have some fun playlists like 31 versions of Epistrophy running from longest to shortest. I use the Griffin iTrip to listen in the car and in bed on my Bose Wave Radio. (I think my right channel audio input in the Bose is damaged and I get some odd sounding performances when I use cables and the dock for the connection. The cables sound better than the iTrip but the iTrip is still decent enough.) I have my only Mosaic on it - the Horace Parlan (and it appears as if I've lost disc 1 of the Carmell Jones Select). And lots of Tina Brooks, Sonny Clark, and Red Garland.

I read the Newseek and desperately want the new 40 gig iPod - but I'd need to add an external harddrive. And that's too much work for now. I'll wait until I but a new computer.

I tend to agree with Guy.

A PDA would have been a better choice. Some of them can play sounds too, and they have many more features which can be used productively. A PDA is a small computer. An iPod is just a modern form of a Walkman.

With it's hard drive, an iPod can also be used to transport data, but how often do students need to carry several GB of data with them? To exchange the latest movie downloads? For their homework, a cheap USB stick would do.

Edited by Claude

Well, the iPod has some *very* basic PDA functions (similar to a cell phone), but it's main use it to listen to music (or other sounds, like audio books).

http://www.apple.com/ipod/

During Your Commute:

- Get ready for the day ahead with some music, played through your car speakers or, if you’re on the bus or train, through a pair of noise-reduction headphones

- Listen to a magazine, audiobook or news program (“Fresh Air” with Terry Gross, for example) purchased from the iTunes Music Store

At Work:

- Record a meeting so you can refer back to what was discussed or share it with a colleague who couldn’t attend

- Use iPod as a hard drive to store files you’d like to take home or review with a client

- Stay organized while on the road: keep your calendar, contacts and to-do lists on iPod

- Take a break with iPod: Relax with a tune and a brisk walk around the building

At Home:

- Connect iPod to powered speakers or a stereo system

- Purchase music from the iTunes Music Store and use Auto-Sync to transfer it quickly and easily to iPod from your Mac or PC

On Campus:

- Leave your bulky stereo system home and save space in your dorm room by connecting iPod to a pair of powered speakers

- Listen to music between classes, while studying or while strolling the quad

- Don’t miss class: use iPod’s built-in Alarm Clock to get you out the door in time

- Record an interview for the school paper or your next research paper

- Connect iPod to a computer and use it to take files from your dorm to a computer lab — or vice versa

On Vacation:

- Hiking the backcountry? Extend battery life with the optional backup battery pack, powered by standard AA batteries.

- Listen to your favorite tunes in the car or at 30,000 feet

- Download guides to restaurants and other attractions and easily access them using iPod’s Click Wheel

- Free up space on your digital camera memory card by storing photos on iPod

Connect iPod to portable speakers and use it as a travel alarm

At Play:

- Create a variety of playlists that will raise the roof at any party

- Take requests and make up multiple On-the-Go Playlists on the spot

- Stay motivated at the gym with hours of music

Edited by Claude

Wanted to thank Claude for taking the time to private message with me regarding the iRIVER HP 120. For now, I've decided to get the iPOD 20 GB that is officially released on July 26. Just ordered mine from amazon.com and it will arrive on Wednesday.

I had the opportunity to "test drive" an older model of the iPOD (about 2 years old) this past week and found it very easy to use and sound quality quite good!

I'm already pre-planning what CDs should go on my new toy. For now, the only Mosaic I'll be putting on my iPOD is the Paul Chambers/Wynton Kelly Veejay sessions. Though I think my Bill Evan Riversides will eventually get "iPODed." I don't see myself downloading the 99 cent iTUNES stuff very much. I have enough great CDs in my collection to last a looooong time. There's just something about having the entire CD - liner notes 'n all - that will probably keep me from downloading individual tunes.

Marla

Oh yeah - and thanks to everyone on this forum for all this great information. It was fun checking out the different MP3 players, iPODhackers.com (I think that is the name of the site), great sites to get "designer" iPOD cases - I think I'll get black vinyl or leather - I don't like to stick out in a crowd.

Marla

I guess the people at Duke University didn't think so. It would appear that price is the main reason why many people buy an iPod alternative. I have yet to hear anyone say that another machine is otherwise more desirable.

Well, when your students are paying $40K/year to study at your institution, you have the luxury to splurge on trendy, expensive toys for them.

What percentage of the people who are in the market for external hard drives buy iPods for that purpose? What about people in the market for PDAs?

Guy

How many Apple Execs serve on the Board of Directors of Duke University?

Just curious...

Having been a part of a private university system myself, I can tell you that required purchases for students often reflect cozy behind-the-scene deals.

Edited by John L

Does anyone know if there's a way with an iPod to delete songs from your iTunes library and not have them be deleted from your iPod when it notices they are on the iPod but no longer in the music library.

Also is it possible to download music from two different music libraries (ie music from two different computers) onto one iPod without wiping out the music on the iPod from the first computer. I assume it would do the same thing it does when you delete songs from your library (ie erase whatever is on the iPod that is not in the current music library you are syncing with and add only the new titles in the second library).

Help would be much appreciated. Has anyone else run into these types of problems. Seems it might have been smarter to get the Nomad.

I've looked at the specs, read the literature, amd looked at all your posts. But I still haven't seen any mention of whether the dang things will work off a microphone. And if so, what kind--crystal,magnetic moving coil, moving diapragm , high inpedance, low inpedance.?? If not, why not? An audio modulated voltage is an audio modified voltage whether it comes from a mic or an amplifier. Anybody know for sure?????? :unsure:

The iPod will work as a voice recorder with the addition of an iTalk made by Griffin Technology.

prod_italk_main.jpg

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/...k/techspecs.php

Does anyone know if there's a way with an iPod to delete songs from your iTunes library and not have them be deleted from your iPod when it notices they are on the iPod but no longer in the music library.

You have to have the iPod set to do manual updating. If it is set for automatic updating, then your iPod will be made to match your music library as soon as you connect it to your computer.

Good news for those of us with iPods:

RealNetworks is expected to announce Monday that it has unlocked some of Apple Computer's most tightly held technology secrets, giving its music a way onto the popular iPod digital music player.

The announcement is part of a broader release of RealNetworks software, which will let songs sold from the company's online store play on a variety of portable devices, including the iPod and Microsoft-compatible rivals. RealNetworks has been selling songs from its digital song store since January, but the files could previously be played only on a few portable devices.

The new Harmony software, which RealNetworks said mimics the proprietary copy protection used in Apple's iTunes store, is sure to be controversial. Apple has previously refused to provide licenses to companies seeking iPod compatibility, and RealNetworks did not seek permission before releasing its own version of iPod-friendly software.

Edited by Guy Berger