Baby Face Willette's Sound and Registrations

Marsalone

Hey everybody,

I am trying my hardest to come up with a sound similar to Baby Face Willette's Blue Note recordings. I love his sound on Grant Green's album and Lou Donaldson's and his own two records as leader. Does anyone know what registrations he typically used. His sound is so grungy, I just love it. Definately my idol on the organ next to Don Patterson and Brother Jack.

Anyway I've been trying in vain to get something similar but it ain't working. I see lots stuff on the net regarding Jimmy Smith's settings and Groove Holmes' sound but nothing on Face's and I need help.

Thanks,

Daniel

The key to Babyface's sound is using the V3 vibrato. Every other jazz organist (with the exception of Don Pullen) steers clear of the vibrato settings of the Hammond, preferring to use the chorus instead.

The basic Babyface sound is 888000000, V3 vibrato on the top manual, 2nd harmonic percussion, on normal. You can also add some fourth drawbar in there, though that just doubles up the 2nd harmonic percussion (same note). He also used a more traditionally gospel influenced lower manual registration for bass and chords. Something like 848400000 should get you there.

As for the grittiness, that's all in the Leslie. Cranked. :)

The key to Babyface's sound is using the V3 vibrato. Every other jazz organist (with the exception of Don Pullen) steers clear of the vibrato settings of the Hammond, preferring to use the chorus instead.

The basic Babyface sound is 888000000, V3 vibrato on the top manual, 2nd harmonic percussion, on normal. You can also add some fourth drawbar in there, though that just doubles up the 2nd harmonic percussion (same note). He also used a more traditionally gospel influenced lower manual registration for bass and chords. Something like 848400000 should get you there.

As for the grittiness, that's all in the Leslie. Cranked. :)

Thanks so much. I can't wait to get home to try it out. I heard that he didn't really use the Leslie much and didn't use chorus. At the end of some songs I hear him spinning the Leslie. I didn't know about the Vibrato. I hear the hint of distortion and grit. He definately has a unique sound and is one of my favorites. His staccato lines just get me going...

Ciao,

Big D.