Gigi Gryce radio

Michael Fitzgerald

This Sunday Noal Cohen and I will be guests of Sid Gribetz on WKCR's "Jazz Profiles," a five hour show. We will talk about our book "Rat Race Blues" and will play a wide range of Gryce's music.

WKCR-FM is 89.9 MHz in the New York City area, recently restored to full broadcasting power (they were very hard to get for two years following the WTC attacks). They are also available online at wkcr.org for listeners all over the planet.

This is the most extensive radio show that we've done so far - please tune in. We'll have the opportunity to really get deep into the subject. No commercials, no news breaks, no underwriting announcements. Just great music and the story of the musicians who made it.

Sunday, November 16, 2003 - 2-7 PM EST.

All kinds of past, present, and future Gryce-related events are listed at

http://www.JazzDiscography.com/Artists/Gry...yce/ggbooks.htm

Mike

Hey Michael... I'm listening to it right now... and am loving the variety of stuff presented. I only own a couple of his Jazz Lab dates and a couple of sideman appearances, so I'm getting to hear all kinds of new stuff. But I haven't heard you guys talking yet! Help me out! Let me know where I can find all this good stuff!

Many thanks, MIke. I had to go out today while it was on, but I managed to record much of it with my portable MiniDisc machine. I'm listening to it now, and in a few short minutes I've already learned a few things, of course in addition to enjoying the great music (some of which I already have in my collection).

Glad some folks were listening - had some wonderful phone calls during the show, notably one from a former student of Gigi's during his NYC teaching career and another from a musician who called to stress that Charlie Parker was a great friend of Gigi's, recalling a gig shortly before Bird's death where Bird gave a great welcome to Gigi in the club.

As for availability, there haven't been too many CD reissues since the discography in the book was done. Unfortunately, some of those that are listed have been deleted - but check the used bins/websites as I still see a lot of these around.

We're still waiting for CD issues of Dizzy Gillespie: The Greatest Trumpet of Them All; the Metrojazz Gryce album; and the Mercury Orch-tette album. All these are being sat on by the brain trust at Universal. Then there's the RCA Jazz Lab album. If Sony and BMG do merge, we'd have a chance to see it as well as the *entire* contents of the two Columbia Jazz Lab records, but don't hold your breath.

Mike