Water Records

jazzbo

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to Jazzmatazz Water is reissuing two more Blue Notes on June 29: Duke Pearson’s The Phantom, which is in the Mosaic Select and also was on an early Japanese CD, and Reuben Wilson’s A Groovy Situation, which as far as I know hasn’t been on CD at all.

bluenote3%20047_1.jpg

blue%20note4%20053.jpg

Hopefully we can now expect more Blue Notes from the late 60s-early 70s to be licensed to Water. There are many Blue Note albums from those years that haven’t been on CD at all, unlike those up to the mid-60s, which all have been on CD at least in Japan.

By the way, on the same day that these come out there is also a new RVG batch, the week before there is a new LPR batch, and the day after the Tal Farlow Mosaic comes out, so I think we can suspect that some wallets will take a beating in late June!

This is one hell of a label! Tom Rapp, Eddie Gale, Joseph Spence, Sonny Sharrock, Holy Model Rounders, Duke Pearson, Zodiac Cosmic Sounds,William Fischer and now Mingus and Kirk, there must be something in the water in S.F.(again)! I need a subscription for everything these jokers put out because they have tapped into this old mans aesthetic big time!

First bought the Zodiac Cosmic Sounds as an impressionable 15 year old when it was first released and on a domestic, english release, it was "heavy man."..and the "chicks" loved it, Cyrus reciting ponderous truths about the stars, and I am ashamed to say that the time (cringe) I loved it. Word of warning, I have not listened to it in 30 years! But I had to have a copy of the Water issue for old times sake. The Pearls however, I do play and with some regularity, and I must be one of the few to really love the Familiar Songs album.

According to Jazzmatazz Water is reissuing two more Blue Notes on June 29: Duke Pearson’s The Phantom, which is in the Mosaic Select and also was on an early Japanese CD, and Reuben Wilson’s A Groovy Situation, which as far as I know hasn’t been on CD at all.

blue%20note4%20053.jpg

I have that Reuben Wilson session on the original lp. Sadly, it is not nearly as good as the two that came out in the Rare Groove series or "On Broadway", his first on BN. Probably the best way to descibe it is boring ... the grooves are not all that engaging and the soloing is not all that complex (even for RW). I will probably take a pass on this one ... too bad they did not pick "Broadway" instead.

Eric

I'd like to put in a plug for the Water reissue of Byard Lancaster's "It's Not Up to Us." It has some great sax/flute playing by Byard and it also has Sonny Sharrock on guitar, although it's often a somewhat muted presence, it seems to me.

• 4 months later...

I grabbed a used (who let it go!) copy of HERE COMES THE WHISTLEMAN last weekend and have been LOVING it. Man, these Water reissues sound fantastic, very close to vinyl-like on a good system. I hadn't had this album before despite being a Kirk nut, it's a really good one. And vintage Jaki Byard! Jaki Byard! Jaki Byard! Seems anything he played from around this time (circa FUSCHIA SWING SONG era) was golden.

One question - Kirk is listed on the back tray card and in the new liners (not the repro original ones) as playing alto sax on the final cut. Now by my ears, this sounds like tenor - same timbre etc as the horn for the cuts on which he plays tenor. I know you can be tricked sometimes though, and Kirk would be the type to play games like this by sticking in the lower registers of the alto to make it sound "tenor-like." But still, doesn't sound right to me and Kirk really didn't play alto all that much.

Any saxophonists familiar with this recording that can weigh in on this?

Anyone know if '4 Men With Beards' will be putting out 180g vinyl of 'The Phantom', in the same way that they did with the Eddie Gales?

sidewinder,

Do you have the Eddie Gale reissues that 4 Men With Beards put out? I was about to pick up the CD versions on Water when I became aware of the vinyl versions that were out there. If you've got 'em, can you weigh in on how they sound?

EDIT:

(By the way - Midheaven Mailorder have these for a good price - $11.50! That's $3 cheaper than the CD...)

Edited by street singer