Water Records

jazzbo

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone know if '4 Men With Beards' will be putting out 180g vinyl of 'The Phantom', in the same way that they did with the Eddie Gales?

sidewinder,

Do you have the Eddie Gale reissues that 4 Men With Beards put out? I was about to pick up the CD versions on Water when I became aware of the vinyl versions that were out there. If you've got 'em, can you weigh in on how they sound?

EDIT:

(By the way - Midheaven Mailorder have these for a good price - $11.50! That's $3 cheaper than the CD...)

street - I've got the 4MWB vinyl of 'Black Rhythm Happening' but have yet to pick up 'Getto Music'. 'BRH' sounds pretty nice in this reissue, can't compare it to the original but I would definitely say go for it. Well presented with good packaging, new liner notes and heavyish vinyl.

Anyone know if '4 Men With Beards' will be putting out 180g vinyl of 'The Phantom', in the same way that they did with the Eddie Gales?

sidewinder,

Do you have the Eddie Gale reissues that 4 Men With Beards put out? I was about to pick up the CD versions on Water when I became aware of the vinyl versions that were out there. If you've got 'em, can you weigh in on how they sound?

EDIT:

(By the way - Midheaven Mailorder have these for a good price - $11.50! That's $3 cheaper than the CD...)

street - I've got the 4MWB vinyl of 'Black Rhythm Happening' but have yet to pick up 'Getto Music'. 'BRH' sounds pretty nice in this reissue, can't compare it to the original but I would definitely say go for it. Well presented with good packaging, new liner notes and heavyish vinyl.

Thanks for the response, sidewinder. I bought both of these last night - just couldn't pass 'em up at that price. Total for both, including shipping, was ~$28.

• 3 years later...

The one thing I don't/didn't dig about the Water reissues is that they left out alternative/extra takes. Blue Note issued an alternate take of "Brother Soul" from Say It Loud on a Rare Grooves Comp. that Water didn't include. A pretty glaring omission since said track was badass and perhaps superior in some ways to the og version.

Even worse, there's an unissued tune, Red Top, from that session. Yes, unissued, not rejected. It should of course have been included.

Lou Donaldson Quintet

Blue Mitchell (tp) Lou Donaldson (el-as, vo) Charles Earland (org) Jimmy Ponder (g) Leo Morris (d)

Rudy Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, November 6, 1968

tk.1 Brother Soul (alt. take) Blue Note B1 31883

tk.2 Brother Soul Blue Note BST 84299

tk.3 Snake Bone Blue Note 45-1943, BST 84299

tk.8 Say It Loud, I'm Black And I'm Proud -

tk.10 Caravan Blue Note BST 84299

tk.12 Summertime -

tk.16 Red Top unissued

* Various Artists - The Lost Grooves (Blue Note B1 31883)

* Lou Donaldson - Say It Loud! (Blue Note BST 84299)

* Lou Donaldson - Say It Loud c/w Snake Bone (Blue Note 45-1943)

Got the EDDIE GALE Ghetto Music: WOW :excited: : In the vein of my all time favorite Max Roach groups including Fredom Now suite and It's Time. This music was way ahead of it's time. If you are curious, the vocals do not dominate and are used with taste in various parts of the album. As mentioned earlier, the cd sound is excellent and if you are into avanta garde jazz, this one is essential. Thanks Francis Wolff for bank rolling this out of his own pocket. I have a good feeling this will be out of print from Water in less than 6 months. :excl:

Dova

Ghetto Music has the kind of cover that really makes you want to find out what kind of music is contained within ( in addition to making you want to watch The Omega Man again ) . I have absolutely no problem with any of the vocalizing/chanting , but I can't abide Eddie's trumpet playing :(

as i said, i think water partially chose which albums to reissue based on the righteousness of the covers (ie soulful black women or to a lesser degree, men)...they should have based it on the music first. but i think these same soulful black folk do attract consumers so i guess it worked!

...and if you like or already have that, then get Ghetto Music and proceed accordingly.

Well, funny, I had Ghetto Music in my hand today and I went up to the counter to purchase it; they keep the cd's behind the counter so when he got it, I took a look-see and wouldn't you know that there was a big ol' scratch on it. Alas, I have to wait for another copy :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: