Water Records

jazzbo

I can't speak for their rock and "folk" reissues. . . but Water Records' jazz reissues are da bomb!

I've picked up all their jazz releases (well, if you want to stretch the definition that includes Ayler, Gale, Lancaster and Sharrock!) I love them all. Not just the music, but the remastering is FANTASTIC---in my opinion better than the remastering done by most of the majors. The cover reproductions are beautiful, and the original liners are reproduced in readable form. The whole package speakes of "love" for the music, not of "product." I'm won over to this label, wholeheartedly.

I did a review of the Eddie Gales for AAJ to try to get the word out about these, which I think are great Blue Note releases. . .not reissued by Blue Note, so maybe a bit under the radar. The Ayler I picked up last, and was shocked at how wonderful the sound is and how much I enjoy the music now, when in the past it was not among my favorite Aylers. And the Byard Lancaster is BEAUTIFUL. Wonderful sound both from the musicians and the recording. The Sonny and Linda Sharrock cd, "Paradise," is very interesting. It grows on me more and more. A fusiony band that grooves along, and Sonny and Linda work their unusual magic over the top. . . . I don't think I would have grabbed this cd so quickly if I hadn't learned to value Water releases highly. A real testament to this label, to get you to buy a release because their name is on it. . . sound familiar?

Anyway, I welcome others' comments about this label, and I invite y'all to give them a chance. I'm looking forward to what they may release NEXT!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The album that sports your new avatar (Eddie Gale's Ghetto Music) was my first Water acquistion. Wonderful stuff, and certainly an album that I'd recommend to any fan of Sun Ra (or even Cecil Taylor?). It stands on its own, separate of influences, and opened up a new branch of the music to me. I agree with your comments re. the remastering/sound. These guys are doing a great job.

For the price, all of these appear worth picking up.

I'm looking forward to hearing these remasterings of the Gales; I have them on CD-R from you Lon, as you probably recall. I really enjoy the music (particularly the date with Elvin Jones) and they sound good, but not stellar (original vinyl had some limitations). Jim Sangrey and some others have also said nice things about the Byard Lancaster. Looks like I'll have to pick 'em all up soon.

Edited by DrJ

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Lon,

Man, you're not kidding! I just snagged Eddie Gale's - Black Rhythm Happening, and it sounds great! The remastering is absolutely wonderful. There's no way Blue Note would've done a better job with this than the guys at Water did.

BTW, I really dig this album! I'd only ever really heard the title track, but the rest of the album is really nice... a unique mixture of (mildly) free jazz, some funk, and downright haunting voices at times. I'm really getting into "The Mexico Thing"!

I'll be grabbing Ghetto Music next!

Cheers,

Shane

I forgot to ask... who else is on that Sharrock - Paradise CD? I'll probably pick that up anyway, but it'd be nice to know who else is on the date.

The original Atco LP Sonny & Linda Sharrock 'Paradise' had the following lineup:

Sonny Sharrock, guitar, Linda Sharrock, vocals, Kenny Armstrong, piano, Fender Rhodes, Moog synthetizer, clavinet, Chamberlin mellotron, Dave Artis, electric bass, Buddy Williams, drums, tympani, Sonny Bonillia, percussions

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe Water will reissue those Kenny Cox Blue Notes...

Seems like one of the only chances that they'll ever see the light of day on CD.

Hey, how's the cheapest way for me to score both of Eddie Gale's BN dates on CD - meaning these Water reissues???

Damn - I just checked Dusty Groove, figuring that they would be a good place to at least get a price to compare others with. Looks like they normally sell both of the Gale 'Water' reissues for only $12 each!!! That's quite a bit cheaper than I was expecting. Somehow I though Water was probably some import label, so I was expecting them to be priced at something like $18 ro $20 each.

So, then I guess my question is moot, unless somebody's knows of a place selling them for less than $12. Thanks!!!