Duke: The Complete Works 1924-1947

nmorin

EKE BBB,

I hope it's a good set. I know I've been happy with my Proper boxes that I've purchased so far.

When you get your set, please post a review of it. The price is amazing for that much music.

I couldnt find anything about it on the proper site . Amazon UK lists the label as History.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B...4259550-3213221

Looks like the label might be a mistake. As mentioned above this looks like the German 'History' label box of a few years back. It's certainly unlike anything else Proper have put out. The picture on CD UNiverse seeems to have a crown shape for a logo.

It's possible, of course, that Proper are distributing it.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I bought this recently and have begun to listen to this set. I only listened to about 4 cds spread thoughout the set. I'm going back now to to listen to the music in order.

Impressions: On disk one, the first ten tracks sound like pure crap. I was wondering if my $90.00 had just gone down a rat-hole. Thankfully, the sound quality really improved after those tracks, and I have to say that, to my ears, the sound is very good (I admit I'm not overly fussy in this area). Everything else I've heard is clear, the instruments are easily distinguished. The downside is that the liners are same of the worst I've ever seen. They list the musicians, date of recording, and that's it. No mention of what label the cut is from, or any other information. The box it comes in is worthless, I threw mine away the minute I got home and put the cds on a self. However, with all that said, this is a great buy. 40 cds of Ellington, well over 740(!!) cuts, with good sound, that covers the first half of his career, all for $90.00, what's not to like? I'm very happy with my buy, and I'm looking forward to many hours of enjoyment.

I just ordered it from amazon.co.uk. With shipping to Paris it came out to 65 euros or about $77 at current exchange rates. I don't have anywhere near 40 CDs' worth of pre-1947 Duke so I figure I can't go wrong.

I clicked around the web a bit and found a reference to a label called Phantom as well as History. It doesn't seem to be a Proper project.

As for taking the high road and refusing to dis-incentivize future reissue projects that would have higher standards of everything, award-winning insightful booklets with great photographs, no ripping off other people's masters, etc., well... life is short and I am but a flea on the warty ass of the recording industry. The RCA box, for example, is expensive enough that I'd have to save my pennies for many months before springing for it, and I don't have the patience. So throwing virtue to the winds, I'll buy stuff like this just to have the music.

Plus the RCA box sucks.

I know it's a matter of personel taste but I also didn't care for the RCA box either, in fact, I traded it in after a year. Why didn't I like it? Just way too many gaps in the years for me, and too many alt. tks. I am much happier with this History 40 volume set, and am very pleased with the sound quality. One big plus for the History set for me is not alt. tks. I would die a very happy man if I never had to pay for another cd with alternate takes in my life! :tdown:tdown

Well, I don't think there are too many people in this world that can internalize 40 cd's of a musician like Ellington -- certainly I'm not one of them. The question for me in regards to the RCA box was this: Yes I loved the music I was hearing but how do I get the rest of his early stuff without spending an fortune? This, for me, was the best way to go. It might not be perfect but I'll live. ;)

yrs. in more velvet tones.

Matt