I am shakin'

Most of us have burned our collections to MP3 formats now. This is a good reminder to have a separate hard drive that contains all your most important files - for me its music and images - safely stored at a friends or parents house. The cost is about $150 for a 1.5TB drive today.

Vic, glad to hear you're okay. A fire is my worst nightmare.

I'm glad to hear that there was nothing to worry about in the end but I can totally relate to your experience. If there was ever a fire, my jazz/CD collection would be my primary concern as far as possessions go because it brings me so much pure enjoyment.

Would the replacement cost for a CD collection be covered under homeowners insurance? At what point would you need a special rider of some sort? Just my jazz collection alone is about 800 titles. (That's probably moderate compared to some of the collections here.) Even if you figured an average $10 replacement cost for each title that would be $8000.00 and we wouldn't even be taking into account pricier OOP titles and box sets. If you were to take all of my CDs into account, we're easily looking at $10,000.00 or more in replacement costs. Yikes!!

Most of us have burned our collections to MP3 formats now. This is a good reminder to have a separate hard drive that contains all your most important files - for me its music and images - safely stored at a friends or parents house. The cost is about $150 for a 1.5TB drive today.

Vic, glad to hear you're okay. A fire is my worst nightmare.

Most of us? Maybe many of us. . .not sure "most of us" jazz collectors have done so. Or want to. I would save my collection lossless or wav file maybe. . . MP3 is not the same to me. And I have over 10,000 discs. . . .

I just would start over I guess. It wouldn't kill me. Might be fun!

Edited by jazzbo

Would the replacement cost for a CD collection be covered under homeowners insurance? At what point would you need a special rider of some sort? Just my jazz collection alone is about 800 titles. (That's probably moderate compared to some of the collections here.) Even if you figured an average $10 replacement cost for each title that would be $8000.00 and we wouldn't even be taking into account pricier OOP titles and box sets. If you were to take all of my CDs into account, we're easily looking at $10,000.00 or more in replacement costs. Yikes!!

I doubt you would need a special rider. Best thing to do is ask your agent though.

Got a digital camera? Go to it! (Video might be easier.) You can use a Google email account as an(other) offsite storage site for photographic evidence of your collection (and other things you're insuring.) You can also set up a folder of all of the email receipts you have from ordering discs online if you want more proof of what you've spent. All of this is time consuming but in my experience it's best to be well armed with evidence just in case the insurance decides that day that you're an easy mark for enhancing their profits.

Sorry to hear it. Aggie's advice on the scotch was good - I'd be shaking in that situation too. All the best !

While I'd agree with that advice too, I can't take credit for it, that was Harold!

Woops. Put it down to early morning weekend half-asleepness. The jazz on TV last night was too good. :g

Hey man, glad you escaped unscathed. I can only imagine what that must've been like. None of us spend time contemplating anything like this and how we would react, so it's all extemporaneous. Just thinking about having to make decisions on the fly is creepy. The important thing is that you're OK. Secondarily, so is your collection. In my case, I'd make sure that the two dogs and three cats were accounted for, then I'd worry about the CD's.

Up over and out.