Willie Pickens

Hot Ptah

Here's a rather stunning video of Pickens from 2002. The drummer is Rusty Jones; I've seen/heard the bassist before but don't recall his name:

http://itsundertherotunda.blogspot.com/200...ie-pickens.html

I have a nice 1987 Pickens Trio LP on Southport from 1987, "It's About Time!" with Wilber Campbell or Robert Shy on drums and Larry Gray or Dan Shapera on bass. Apparently it's been reissued on CD with extra tracks, with the original seven tracks misidentified as coming from 1997 (at least they say there are extra tracks on the CD, though I don't see them listed):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000009RM...me=&seller=

Unfortunately the price probably is prohibitive.

Here's a rather stunning video of Pickens from 2002. The drummer is Rusty Jones; I've seen/heard the bassist before but don't recall his name:

http://itsundertherotunda.blogspot.com/200...ie-pickens.html

I have a nice 1987 Pickens Trio LP on Southport from 1987, "It's About Time!" with Wilber Campbell or Robert Shy on drums and Larry Gray or Dan Shapera on bass. Apparently it's been reissued on CD with extra tracks, with the original seven tracks misidentified as coming from 1997 (at least they say there are extra tracks on the CD, though I don't see them listed):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000009RM...me=&seller=

Unfortunately the price probably is prohibitive.

Thanks, Larry. I have to think about getting "It's About Time!" at the used Amazon price. The video is great.

I have not been able to find any recent recordings by Willie Pickens, although I have read that his live performances are at a high level. I had hoped that someone might know of recordings from the past few years.

willie pickens is an extremely talented, entertaining, and joyfully spiritual man. i met him at the jazz showcase several years ago (thanks, mark) and ever since i've looked forward to the chance to see him when i visit chicago. with one exception, i own and enjoy every one of his releases. in addition to the excellent it's about time , i recommend checking out jazz spiritual, a two volume exploration of religious songs where pickens' trio is augmented by reedmen ari brown and pat malinger. a holiday favorite of mine is jazz christmas, a 1998 recording on southport that includes nicholas payton.

the only disc i don't have is a 2001 japanese title on pony canyon featuring george mraz and joe farnsworth. i've seen it listed as mr. swing: tribute to wynton kelly and dark eyes, but the price is typically steep. patience, patience.

I think the bassist is Nick Tountas.

Willie is an amazing player!

Right, Nick Tountas. Bruce Anderson, the pastor of the Lutheran Church of the Redeemer in Niles, Il., where these jazz vespers are held, is a very talented bassist himself.

P.S. I mis-typed in my previous post. That video is from 2007.

I think the bassist is Nick Tountas.

Willie is an amazing player!

...amazing player and wonderful man! I went to his 70th Birthday party and it was basically a tribute to him by a couple dozen great musicians/friends....Faddis, Bellson, C. Terry, G. Bartz, Bunky Greene, Barry Harris, Robert Shy, Larry Gray, Richard Davis and many others....

m

thanks for starting this thread. not only did it give me an excuse to spend some quality time listening to the discs i do own by willie, it also gave me the encouragement i needed to try again to find dark eyes at a reasonable price. and i did! what a wonderful trio. willie never ceases to amaze and satisfy.