Searching for Dupree Bolton

Dave James

I had posted this as a tag to the thread discussing the recent Bolton release on Uptown, but I thought it might be overlooked. Given that there seems to be a fair amount of interest in what became of him, I'm reposting this an an independent topic.

http://jazz.com/features-and-interviews/20...e-bolton-part-1

Up over and out.

"I've never heard of Granta before. Do you have any other information? "

Granta's a well-established "magazine of new writing" published four times a year. Pricey, but back issues are readily available on Amazon Marketplace, for instance. I bought the issue with the Bolton article for under $1 (iirc) plus the Amazon Marketplace S/H. [Added: Lots currently available for a penny plus S/H. Disclaimer: I'm not one of the sellers.]

Granta's standards are high: other authors in #69 include Hanif Kureishi and Paul Theroux.

Edited by T.D.

Probably not news to many, but there's an interesting 20+-page Bolton article (no interview, however) called Gifted, by Richard Williams, in Granta #69 (Spring 2000).

Williams did the bulk of the notes for the new Uptown release as well.

Was Xeroxing some old Downbeat reviews at the IU School of Music library the other day and came across Larry Kart's 1970 review of a reissue of Harold Land's THE FOX:

The support [Elmo] Hope received on this date was ideal--Bolton's soloistic immediacy in the ensemble passages is particularly important in making each performance a single entity instead of a series of solos. His own choruses are nervous, intense extensions of Fats Navarro--he takes a lot of chances and, like Hope, his bold courting of chaos creates an aura of grandeur even when chaos wins out.

What is included on the uptown?

a brief "live version of katanga" (with bolton, amy, ray crawford, dolo coker), two tracks from a pacific jazz session with earl anderza and hadley caliman (same tracks as on the onzy matthews mosaic) and four tracks from 1980 by the "Oklahoma Prison Band" (didn't convince me as much as the other two sessions, but those two are great)

don't know where in the world this works (vaguely recall it might work in the us), but i can stream the album here legally, free and even without having to sign-up

http://www.lastfm.de/music/Dupree+Bolton/Fireball

I still haven't heard Katanga!

Great great album! Just managed to snag this one for $5 and Dupree is on fire! What a surprise to get such great jazz at this price!

I once hemmed and hawed at $40 for an original; I think it was a little worn. I should have bought it and have been kicking myself since.

I watched for it on eBay for a long time and wound up buying a copy for around $15 iirc.

Isn't Katanga on the Curtis Amy Select?

Ok, finally read part 2 - quite a tragic story indeed... but I didn't see the part where Bolton deceived Goia... except for not showing up that day, but hey, that has happened to the best of us!

:)

the one thing that really surprised me was that bolton actually called gioia that day...

Ok, finally read part 2 - quite a tragic story indeed... but I didn't see the part where Bolton deceived Goia... except for not showing up that day, but hey, that has happened to the best of us!

:)

the one thing that really surprised me was that bolton actually called gioia that day...

Yeah, you see, so he's even better than me, because I'd take at least a day to dare and make that call...