pianist Vijay Iyer - anybody heard of this guy???

Rooster_Ties

I was looking for a particular Andrew Hill quote with Google, and found this paragraph from an on-line review of "Judgement!":

Already [Hill's] exemplary horizontal writing style was in evidence, a style which would not reappear until the late 1990s, with the emergence of Vijay Iyer.

So I go to the AMG, and found this bio of Iyer (CLICK HERE for bio), and there are reviews of several of his albums.

They all look good on paper. I've never heard of this guy. Should I have???

The AMG guide says he's worked a bunch with Steve Coleman, and is kinda in the M-BASE camp.

I've heard of him but have never heard him.

There are reviews of 2 CDs of his in the Dec. issue of Downbeat.

They sound interesting although I admit to being a little "nervous" about electronics, voices & poetry in one of them.

The other sounds like a more straight forward quartet.

I'll wait for a few more "opinions".

As for other Andrew Hill-influenced pianists I'd name Jason Moran & Noah Rosen.

Thanks for the link, and the suggestions. I have nearly everything Moran's every recorded (including most of his sideman appearances), but I've never heard of Noah Rosen. Always new music and new musicians to pursue!!!

Yes, there is a big dose of M-BASE in Iyer's music, but his music is also grounded in the fundamentals of Carnatic music as well (perhaps reflective of his South Indian heritage). As Nate notes in his review, there's quite a bit of Carnatic rhythm underlying the strucutures to be heard on PANOPTIC MODES. An increasingly important artist, IMHO.

And, if you're interested in more young pianists influenced by Andrew Hill, you might care to look into John Bickerton's work, particualrly SHADOW BOXES on Leo.

Edited by Joe

I was looking for a particular Andrew Hill quote with Google, and found this paragraph from an on-line review of "Judgement!":

Already [Hill's] exemplary horizontal writing style was in evidence, a style which would not reappear until the late 1990s, with the emergence of Vijay Iyer.

BTW, that's hardly a fair assessment. Anthony Davis' work in the late 70's and early 80's shows a strong Hill influence as well.

I saw him at Sweet Rhythm in New York City last month. I had never heard of him either, but he was terrific. His music (and group) entranced me and I had to come back the next night to hear more. Frankly, he doesn't sound at all like Andrew Hill to me; he has his own unique sound. His new CD is "Bood Sutra" on Artist's House, and it is excellent.

Heard Vijay Iyer a couple of weeks ago at Jazz Gallery with Matana Roberts, a good Chicago-born alto saxophonist/composer. I was there for the bassist, Henry Grimes, but liked the entire ensemble. Iyer played well - though the name "Andrew Hill" did not come to mind. It was leaning more towards Cecil Taylor. No electronics, it was just quintet - alto/clarinet, tenor, piano, bass, drums.

BTW, Roberts is well worth checking out - apparently grew up with new music (Ayler et al) in the house and later became a protege of Fred Anderson. I believe one of her ensembles is called Sticks on Stones or something to that effect.

Mike

Heard Matana Roberts several times in Chicago about five years ago in a jam session format, when she sounded quite a bit like Greg Osby. Heard her again in Chicago last month with Sticks and Stones (bassist Josh Abrams, drummer Chad Taylor), and she sounded great and like no one but herself. What I particularly liked, if this makes any sense, is that the shape of her sound perfectly matched the shape of her lines -- in both cases there was a distinctive, highly expressive "curve" at work, as there was in Benny Carter's playing, though of course she and Carter don't sound alike.

By coincidence I just listened to Iyer's Blood Sutra this week and agree that it is very good. I have also heard Iyer on Rudresh Manhanthappa's Black Water, which is also very good. Iyer is also part of a cooperative group, Fieldwork, with Aaron Stewart on tenor and a drummer that I can not remember. There is a recording on Pi by the group called Your Lfie Flashes.

I have enjoyed everything I have heard involving Iyer thus far. He does not sound much like Andrew Hill to me. He does have a strong percussive nature to his playing, but his playing is more obviously influenced by his time playing with Steve Coleman. He also does not seem to use space as much as Hill. In any event, IMO Iyer is someone worth checking out.

Matana Robert's website is http://www.geocities.com/robertsmatana/

Sticks and Stones has an album out, which you can link up to from the website, but the track I heard from it on an anthology disc didn't quite match what I'd heard live from the band a night or two before, mostly because she's so much a "sound" player I believe, and the sound quality on the disc seemed rather tight and dry. (I'll be getting the album anyway.) Roberts said the band will be making a new album for the Chicago Indie label Thrill Jockey in a month or two. From what I know you like, and from what I've heard of your own playing, Jim, I think you'd like her.

I listened again to the track ("Hannibul") from the Sticks and Stones album that appears on the anthology disc "Document Chicago: New Jazz and Improvisation" (482 Music) and feel that it is not a very good representation of what Matana Roberts and colleagues can do, mostly because it's one of thoose "linen closet" recordings. Probably best to wait for their Thrill Jockey disc. However, there is a lot of strong (and well-recorded) stuff on "Document Chicago." for further info go to www.482music.com (I have no connection with the label.)

• 1 month later...

On the excellent Blood Sutra there are moments where I'm reminded oddly of Tim Berne ??

In What Lenguage on Pi is a collaboration with Mike Ladd and for me its the best crossover effort of this kind so far (cf Shipp meets antipop etc). I like the beats and the words are intelligent and often witty. Very clever in a hip, post grad college kind of way. In the absence of a really outstanding jazz record its possibly my favourite of the year.

John

Is Pi on a roll or what?

up for some air.

I've recently heard Blood Sutra and Panoptic Modes by Iyer as well as Black Water by Rudresh Mahanthappa (with Iyer on piano) and think all three discs are fantastic! I would highly recommend that people check out his recent discs.

I saw him about a month ago. It was good but heavy.

Guy