Sonny Clark

Victor Christensen

I have just received a new Sonny Clark reissiue from Amazon.Japan titled "LA Session 1956/57" on the Interplay Records, it is the SC part from an old old LP (Vantage) "The Pianoman" Hampton Hawes/Sonny Clark with Lighthouse All Stars, with an added track with Cannoball where SC is on piano, stay away from it unless you really want to get everything with SC (Like I do), it only contain 22 minutes of music, and the track with Cannonball takes 8 minutes of that, and that is in such a horriblle sound, can hardly hear what they are playing (The Way You Look Tonight). It is a real bummer and cost me a bundle.

Vic

I have just received a new Sonny Clark reissiue from Amazon.Japan titled "LA Session 1956/57" on the Interplay Records, it is the SC part from an old old LP (Vantage) "The Pianoman" Hampton Hawes/Sonny Clark with Lighthouse All Stars, with an added track with Cannoball where SC is on piano, stay away from it unless you really want to get everything with SC (Like I do), it only contain 22 minutes of music, and the track with Cannonball takes 8 minutes of that, and that is in such a horriblle sound, can hardly hear what they are playing (The Way You Look Tonight). It is a real bummer and cost me a bundle.

Vic

Thank you for the warning. Sorry this one worked out so poorly for you.

That one joins the Pantheon of famous duds. We should start a thread.

Since you know the SC discog. can you tell me what this one is?

417WEX9CGTL._SS500_.jpg

I have this Japanese mini-LP format (MYCJ 30104) of the original that was on Time.

IMO it's excellent.

12 cuts (4 alternates), notes by Nat Hentoff.

Recorded Jan. 1959.

That's a trio date for Time Records.

From January 1959 with George Duvivier and Max Roach. Pretty damned good. Has been out domestically in several versions, and from Japan in several versions throiughout the years. If you can do SACD, look for the US SACD Hybrid version.

• 4 years later...