Keith Tippett and Julie Tippetts

A Lark Ascending

BBC Radio 3's 'Jazz Library' has Keith Tippett talking to Alyn Shipton about his career this week:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00qn1m0

Goes out at 4.00 pm UK time; on iplayer for a week after.

Great show - downloaded the podcast but will have to record the whole thing. Keith Tippett makes an excellent, informative interviewee.

Some fine music on there - the opening track from 'Dedicated To You But You Weren't Listening' is stunning, as is the vocal track from 'Blueprint'. Must pick up the CD of the Vertigo forthwith - and the BGO reissue of 'Blueprint'.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must play my vinyl 'Blueprint' that I bought in 1973 on the back of my King Crimson obsession. Foxed me completely at the time. There are long passages of near silence. One I've always been scared to return to. I suspect it would make much more sense now. If I can tolerate the rice krispies during the quiet bits!

I must play my vinyl 'Blueprint' that I bought in 1973 on the back of my King Crimson obsession. Foxed me completely at the time. There are long passages of near silence. One I've always been scared to return to. I suspect it would make much more sense now. If I can tolerate the rice krispies during the quiet bits!

Bev, do try Blueprint again. It is a marvellous example of quietly presented improvisation, marvellous interraction between the musicians throughout. Do beware a frightening block chord from KT on one of the tracks that comes amidst a very quiet passage - it'll make you spill those rice krispies!

I too thought it was a very interesting programme and that KT proved a fascinating and rather modest interviewee. I'm off to try and track down some solo recordings - a gap in my collection

Do beware a frightening block chord from KT on one of the tracks that comes amidst a very quiet passage - it'll make you spill those rice krispies!

Gosh! I remember that momnt!

Will play and CD-R today!

BTW - to hark back to an earlier question in this thread...Keith did actually mention the Tippett/Tippetts thing. He was originally called Tippetts. What he said was that he was so fed up of being mistakenly called Tippett (with guys like Sir Michael Tippett being in the musical mind at that time...), that he just changed his name to the spelling without the 's', so that at least people were then getting it 'right'. Julie apparently didn't want to chance name again, so just stuck with Tippetts.

FWIW - I think Keith said he and Julie were performing in London this Saturday...perhaps at the Pizza Express? I forget!

Played the 'Blueprint' record - much less scary than I thought! really liked the strange guitar coloured second track.

My vinyl is positively awful. Given how quiet the album is the first few minutes of each side are a real popcorn-fest. Might have to use some e-music credits to get a cleaner copy.

Talking about e-music, anyone with an account might want to download 'Friday the Thirteenth'. A single 50 minute track of solo Keith - just one credit!

I don't think I mentioned it elsewhere on this thread (though I know I've refered to it in the 'What are you listening to...' thread at some point) but look out for a copy of this great disc. I think it's the first to carry the 'Ovary Lodge' name. Even though it was a region way beyond my ken I enjoyed this one right from first purchase in the early 70s:

1225473530_41j5zq37sql__sl500_aa240_.jpg

I'm always amazed at just how far Keith came in such a short time. The early polydor and RCA records are pretty inside. Septober Energy has sections that are very free. But with Blueprint and Ovary Lodge anything remotely conventional has just vanished.

Special kudos for Roy Babbington on these records too. He also served with a huge sound in Stan Tracey's band in the late 70s/early 80s. Last time I saw him he was in the BBC Big Band! And Frank Perry's percussion is spellbinding.

Edited by Bev Stapleton

• 1 year later...

Anyone heard this:

380361305755.jpg

Recorded in 1979. Must have been one of his earliest solo albums - a double LP with:

A1 Tortworth Oak (First Version) 11:14

A2 The Unlonely Raindancer 10:56

B1 Thank You God For My Wife And Children 8:06

B2 The Muted Melody 10:20

C1 Steel Yourself / The Bell, The Gong, The Voice 18:07

C2 Dear Ireland 2:03

D1 The Pool 4:24

D2 Tortworth Oak (Second Version) 13:35

D3 Midnight Snow Walk 1:09

No sign of it anywhere.

Anyone heard this:

380361305755.jpg

Recorded in 1979. Must have been one of his earliest solo albums - a double LP with:

A1 Tortworth Oak (First Version) 11:14

A2 The Unlonely Raindancer 10:56

B1 Thank You God For My Wife And Children 8:06

B2 The Muted Melody 10:20

C1 Steel Yourself / The Bell, The Gong, The Voice 18:07

C2 Dear Ireland 2:03

D1 The Pool 4:24

D2 Tortworth Oak (Second Version) 13:35

D3 Midnight Snow Walk 1:09

No sign of it anywhere.

Never even heard of this one but noticed that a couple of copies have gone on eBay in the region of £25 to £30.

Most KT fans will know about this but his latest waxing is absolutely terrific and Julie is on top form (not that she never is anyway). I highly recommend this. Not out and out free by any means but there area quite a few improv moments. Some great composition here and excellent performances. Something for everyone, definitely.

keithtippett_630314s.jpg

From Granite to Wind; Keith Tippett Octet. Ogun Records. 2011

Edited by RogerF

• 2 months later...

keith-tippett-the-unlonely-raindancer-20111127152230.jpg

If you are immoral enough to accept that 'the internet is your friend' (c. JSngry) then there are files of this now available. Taken from LPs with audible surface noise in places (especially the start of sides) and a couple of sharp end of tracks (probably on the original).

Fascinating listen - 2 LPs worth from 1979 (puts it contemporary with 'Frames'). What you'd expect from solo Tippett - long free-form improvisations mainly; but with more of the lyricism that drew me to Tippett in the early 70s on his sideman appearances. Parts could be from Jarrett's 'Bremen/Lausanne'! Actually an easier listen than things like Blueprint or the first couple of Ovary Lodge albums.

Deserves a proper release.

Some time in early 1973 there was an interview with Tippett in the NME (those were the days!) where I recall him talking about how he wanted to make music that the ordinary person could relax to at the end of the day (probably didn't use those words but that was the jist). I never quite got that, given how free most of his music is. Maybe he just meant it by contrast with the full on raging collective improvisation that was very common at the time.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

• 1 year later...

Something nice for the summer. I've booked for the 2nd and 3rd nights. First trip to The Vortex.

Thu 15 Aug: Keith Tippett & the Elysian Quartet

The Elysian Quartet will perform Keith Tippett's string quartet (commissioned by the Elysian in 2008). After the interval, Tippett will join the quartet to perform his piano quintet (Linuckia), which was commissioned by the Kreutzer Quartet in 1995.

Emma Smith .. violin

Jennymay Logan .. violin

Vincent Sipprel .. viola

Laura Moody .. cello

Fri 16 Aug | 8.30pm: Keith Tippett Octet

World Premiere: The Nine Dances of Patrick O'Gonogon (Commissioned by Richard Wiltshire)

Performing with his Octet, Keith Tippett presents brand new contemporary jazz pieces in three movements.

Fulvio Sigurta .. trumpet/flugel

Sam Mayne .. alto sax/clarinet/flute

James Gardner-Bateman .. alto sax/flute

Kieran Mcleod .. trombone

Rob Harvey .. trombone

Tom Mccredie .. bass

Peter Fairclough .. drums/perc

Keith Tippett .. piano/composer

"Nine Dances" was created for a jazz ensemble and one male dancer. Tonight will be performed without dance.

In the first half, the trio of Tippett/Fairclough/Mccredie will perform.

Sat 17 Aug Keith Tippett, Julie Tippetts & members of the Elysian Quartet

A premiere - An evening of spontaneous composition.

With:

Vincent Sipprell .. viola

Julie Tippetts .. voice/percussion

Jennymay Logan .. violin

Laura Moody .. cello

Keith Tippett .. piano

This special collaborative performance brings together some of the most open musical thinkers of our time, challenging ideas of form and performance.

One day I will visit The Vortex

One day when John Edwards, Barry Guy or Paul Rogers are playing

I've never seen the former, once for Guy and three times for Rogers

For my ears, the three greatest free improvising bassists alive

Then Cafe Oto to hear Alan Wilkinson, Simon H Fell and Paul Hession

Or Steve Noble

One day I see a few more of the great improvisers of our time live and in person

Edited by Steve Reynolds

Really looking forward to it. Tippett was a formative influence on my listening.

Especially looking forward to the trio set; the last time I saw him in a small group setting (Mujician) had me reeling.

And hearing Julie live. Never caught her before. I was listening to one of the recent records she has made with a Sheffield improviser, Martin Archer, and her voice has lost none of its power or texture. Even reading poems or using a speaking voice it's so musical. And like the very different Norma Winstone, very, very English.

Two wonderful musicians who have always ploughed their own furrows.

Well, I'm due a trip to London (I keep meaning to go back to the Greenwich Maritime museum)

Visited there last year when they were still clearing up the park after the Olympic Games. It's one of my favourite museums and I used to visit it regularly when I was growing up in London in the 1950s. It's always good to be reminded of the time when Britain was a leading maritime nation and .....the Harrison clocks are just amazing.

large.jpg

Edited by Head Man

Don't think I've been since the 80s. I want to look at the big naval paintings again now I feel like I've been a tar after several Patrick O'Brian novels.

Make sure to take a peek at the Painted Hall at the ex-naval gaff down the hill !

Edited by sidewinder