Keith Tippett and Julie Tippetts

A Lark Ascending

Amazed to find no thread on these marvellous musicians.

This new release seems an excuse to start one:

nostalgia77sessions01.jpg

Keith Tippett, Julie Tippett, Gary Boyle...there's a blast from the past...(guitar), Mark Hanslip (sax), Adam Sorensen (drums) and Fulvia Sigurta (trumpet, horn), Ben Lamdin (production) and Riaan Vosloo (bass).

A real surprise - both have worked mainly in the free jazz arena since the 70s, but this is a song based album with the musicians very much supporting the vocals. Julie Tippett (once Julie Driscoll of Brian Auger and Oblivion fame for those unaware) has one of the great voices and the years seem to have taken nothing off the power or tonal variety. Keith basically supports but in his very distinctive way - listeners of a certain vintage will be thrown back to the 70s Ogun albums or even three of the King Crimson albums (where I first bumped into him).

Even though some of his free stuff can lose me, Keith Tippett has always been my favourite jazz pianist. Good to hear him again in a more structured context; and to hear Julie in conventional song format (anyone who knows Working Week's 'Storm of Light' will know what to expect; a cameo on a recent album by pianist Dave Stapleton also pointed towards this record).

I'm not sure what Nostagia 77 is all about - seems to be a production or concept team working with various musicians.

Worth seeking out - should be easy as it's on e-music.

Hoping this thread will provide a point for comments on other Tippett-related releases etc.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Check out these two of Julie Tippetts: one with Keith, one without- both are wonderful.

fmpcd65.gif

330544.jpg

As for Julie's spelling of her last name, could it be simply Tippetts as "of Tippett", like Ben- Ben's, Steve-Steve's, etc?

Guess it is not very common in English, but in other cultures quite the norm, i.e. Ivanov (he)-Ivanova (she).

They have a duo gig coming up in the Gloucestershire area (home turf) in the very near future - not part of the Cheltenham Jazz Festival but same timeframe.

According to 'Jazzwise' it's on at the 'Subscription Rooms' in Stroud on the 3rd May.

Edited by sidewinder

Bev,

Are you sure about your eMusic referral? I can't find this one in their catalog. There is a band called Nostalgia 77, but it's not, as far as I can tell, inclusive of Julie Tippets. FWIW, I'm a huge Brian Auger fan with or without her.

Up over and out.

Here's where I downloaded it:

http://www.emusic.com/album/Nostalgia-77-N...d/11431823.html

Might be UK or Europe only. As Alex says, it is a project called Nostalgia 77. But the two Tippetts are right up front! The album is more in line with her Auger style than with her later free jazz approach, so should interest you.

Continuing the Tippett fest, over the last day I've had fun with:

144.jpg

One from e-music I've never heard before. Very poweful.

On the work run:

MillersIsipingo_wwn.jpg

A band I saw c.1977...though someone else depped for Tippett that night. On this one he is wonderful...I love those long, snake-like, strings of notes he runs through in his solos. Lots of that here.

And at present, a favourite solo disc:

e26321retqz.jpg

I'm far from a diehard free jazz fan but the Mujician performance at Bath about ten years ago was one of those concerts that sticks in my brain to this day.

According to Wikipedia (and I recall reading this elsewhere) Keith's original name was Tippetts. I assume he dropped the s because it was hard to say things like Keith Tippettses Centipede!!!!

No idea why Julie stuck with the original...unless they married before he dropped the s.

Would love to see them make it over here sometime!

Maybe I can get one of the promoters to book Couple in Spirit, no?

I'm half-tempted to check out that gig in Stroud on Sunday.

I'll be passing through the place numerous times over the next few days to get to Cheltenham so one more trip probably won't go amis. If I'm not already exhausted by then, that is.

I'm far from a diehard free jazz fan but the Mujician performance at Bath about ten years ago was one of those concerts that sticks in my brain to this day.

Yeah, I remember that one at 'The Pavillion'. Had a ring-side seat for it. Is that the concert where you mentioned you set fire to your book? :g

Yeah, I remember that one at 'The Pavillion'. Had a ring-side seat for it. Is that the concert where you mentioned you set fire to your book? :g

Might have been! Though I vaguely remember the Mujician being on a Saturday and the candle/chilli con carne/book fiasco on a Sunday!

Working my way through the Tippett hoard (a fair bit off e-music) I've just played this little beauty:

jpvp132.jpg

I believe Fairclough is from up this way - Sheffield to be precise.