Keith Tippett and Julie Tippetts

A Lark Ascending

Bev,

You are correct, sir. When I opened up the link, I can listen to the samples, but the following message also appears:

ALBUM UNAVAILABLE FOR DOWNLOAD

We're sorry. This album is unavailable for download in your country (United States) at this time. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Guess I'll have to wait while the U.S. eMusic "affiliate" catches up. The samples do sound intriguing. Interestingly enough, I was still able to save the album to my personal queue even though I can't download it. I'll just keep it there to remind me to revisit its availability here in the states.

Up over and out.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the work run:

MillersIsipingo_wwn.jpg

A band I saw c.1977...though someone else depped for Tippett that night. On this one he is wonderful...I love those long, snake-like, strings of notes he runs through in his solos. Lots of that here.

Yeah, that's a great one.

I'd assume Tracey was in for Tippett, as he was the usual "second string" pianist.

I suppose this was inevitable. Here's a blurb from Dusty Groove with both spellings:

Louis Moholo/Keith Tippett/Julie Tippetts/Canto -- Viva La Black Live At Ruvo ... CD

Ogun (UK), 2004. New Copy .... $14.99

Three British jazz legends meet up with an ultra-hip Italian group -- all in a soaring, joyously progressive style that makes the album one of the best from the Ogun label in many years! Canto Geral is a large ensemble who mix together horns and voices with a full, rich sound that almost reminds....

Up over and out.

I'd assume Tracey was in for Tippett, as he was the usual "second string" pianist.

No, I'd have noticed Tracey. I'd seen him the previous autumn - my first 'proper' jazz concert (I bought my first beret and pencilled on a goatee especially). Could have been one Frank Roberts.

I suppose this was inevitable. Here's a blurb from Dusty Groove with both spellings:

Louis Moholo/Keith Tippett/Julie Tippetts/Canto -- Viva La Black Live At Ruvo ... CD

Ogun (UK), 2004. New Copy .... $14.99

Three British jazz legends meet up with an ultra-hip Italian group -- all in a soaring, joyously progressive style that makes the album one of the best from the Ogun label in many years! Canto Geral is a large ensemble who mix together horns and voices with a full, rich sound that almost reminds....

Up over and out.

A good one - a lot of earlier tunes used to launch from. Whereas the 'Tapestry' album that came out around the same time is a new large group composition (again with lots of Italians).

My Tippett desert island disc is this one:

ogunc010.gif

A similar concept to 'Septober Energy' but with fewer musicians (all in pairs...thus Ark!), none of the rock sections of Septober and just the advantages of greater experience and maturity.

Two more on the go last night and currently:

495318.jpgDartFMRCD161-I0205.jpg

Tern must have been recorded at the same time as Larry Stabbins was involved in Working Week. Very different - full on blowing.

Edited by Bev Stapleton

Further explorations into the nether regions of my collection:

cover_24616742009.jpg

Recall this band on a release around 1978 - this sort of music had all but vanished on record with the punk revolution. So it was nice to hear it done so well. Keith still playing with electric piano here. The wilder end of jazz-rock.

On the work run:

ogcd020.jpg

And while making the tea:

hux055a.jpg

Roberto Bellatalla double bass; Gary Curzon saxes; Jim Dvorak trumpet; Nick Evans trombone; Jim Lebaigue drums; Keith Tippett piano

In the Isipingo-type mould. Clear themes that dissolve into freeform blowing every now and then.

i know very little tippett, two albums i haven't listened to in years but remember very fondly are Tippett's Dedicated to you but you weren't listening and even more so Dennis Gonzalez's Catechism (featuring elton dean, tippett, moholo... gonzalez used to have this for download on his webpage but i can't find it anymore...)

thanks for this thread! will check out more tippett soon (only yesterday i first heard paul rogers' time of brightness with dunmall/domancich/levin and enjoyed it a lot...)

(only yesterday i first heard paul rogers' time of brightness with dunmall/domancich/levin and enjoyed it a lot...)

By chance I just downloaded that from e-music 15 minutes ago!

Rogers is an amazing bass player to watch. He doesn't so much play as mate with his bass!

e68928m2htv.jpg

Strong recommendation for anyone wanting to investigate Tippett solo.

A pretty forbidding first ten minutes or so, sounding like a relentless seastorm but it all then relaxes and moves through a series of passages lyrical (not in the Jarrett sense...you won't come out humming the tunes!) and muscular by turn.

Available as a single track on e-music. Not bad for 47 mins of music.

• 2 weeks later...

tippett_Front.jpg

This has been OOP for some time. Managed to locate a s/h copy online. Tremendous performance - lots of 'proper' piano playing (as opposed to fiddling around inside!!!) and one point where he quotes a tune from one of his composed pieces!!! Strongly recommended.

Edited by Bev Stapleton

Further explorations into the nether regions of my collection:

cover_24616742009.jpg

Recall this band on a release around 1978 - this sort of music had all but vanished on record with the punk revolution. So it was nice to hear it done so well. Keith still playing with electric piano here. The wilder end of jazz-rock.

On the work run:

ogcd020.jpg

And while making the tea:

hux055a.jpg

Roberto Bellatalla double bass; Gary Curzon saxes; Jim Dvorak trumpet; Nick Evans trombone; Jim Lebaigue drums; Keith Tippett piano

In the Isipingo-type mould. Clear themes that dissolve into freeform blowing every now and then.

I played in London last month with Bellatella/Curzon/Dvorak/LeBaigue...Gail Brand in for Nick Evans (who I don't think plays any more)...unfortunately Roberto left the charts on his kitchen table in Italy!

wow, i didn't know Nostalgia 77 had done something with Keith Tippett and Julie Driscoll. but i must admit i dind't know what they've been doing lately. i have their first album or mini lp and that's it. by the way, the label on which it's released, Tru Thoughts, a very interesting label which carries everything by Quantic and Quantic Soul Orchestra, also is releasing in a few days Will Holland's latest effort, Quantic & his Combo Barbaro's "Tradition in Transition", recorded in Cali. this man, who is the label boss and also a big fan of latin music, has recorded in Colombia together with older musicians from there. you can view the trailer here.

• 7 months later...

Will have to so some further exploring here... just got "Dedicated to You, But You Weren't Listening" yesterday, and it's great!

Other than that, my Tippett(s) collection is mostly radio broadcasts, and the FMP "Mujician I/II", which is one of the finest solo piano discs I've heard!

Nostalgia 77 is an interesting band made more so by their work with the Tippetts. Also, anyone who doesn't give Brian Auger shot, with or without Julie Driscoll (Tippett), is missing out on some of the very best jazz-rock-fusion there is. Give their song Voices of Other Times a listen and you'll see what I mean.

• 1 month later...

That must have been fun, Alex.

Keith Tippett is very important to me...opened my ears to very different of approaching and hearing music. I was transfixed by his playing on three King Crimson albums which led me to Centipede. Although 'Septober Energy' had a couple of very jazz-rocky sections, elsewhere it was much, much freer than anything I'd heard before. I still think his short solo passage opening side 4 (that seems to shift from Romanticism to abstraction and back before ushering in a mighty orchestral chorale) is one of my favourite musical moments of all time.

I wish somewhere like Bath would commission him to do one of his larger pieces. Has to be cheaper than paying for a US big band to cross the Atlantic for one concert. Probably couldn't get the sponsorship.

Edited by Bev Stapleton

I wish somewhere like Bath would commission him to do one of his larger pieces.

Great idea but I suspect that Bath may be constrained by current economic considerations. At least they could get him back in the Guildhall with his assorted bricks and wind chimes !

Yes, you are right. But...

I'm all for the international slant of things like Bath (though it seems to increasingly favour the margins of what we might think of as jazz) and its commitment to up and coming players.

Just seems such a pity that we have this enormous talent here in Britain who is still getting so little exposure. The same could be said for Westbrook. The last time I saw him with a big band/orchestra was in the mid-90s.

Keith's performance with Mujician at Bath many years back was one of the most exciting concerts I've ever attended.

But I'll settle for solo (with or without wind chimes and musical boxes!).

The same could be said for Westbrook. The last time I saw him with a big band/orchestra was in the mid-90s.

That would be good. I notice that Mike and Kate have a duo gig coming up soon in London. They have also been featuring their 'Village Band' project a lot down in their local neck-of-the-woods in Devon. An extremely nice couple, in person. :tup