Archie Shepp - Bill Dixon Quartet Savoy 1962

robviti

This was the first leader date for both Shepp and Dixon. It's short but very good. Has it ever been remastered and reissued?

Archie Shepp - Bill Dixon Quartet

Bill Dixon (tp) Archie Shepp (ts) Don Moore (b -1,2,4) Reggie Workman (b -3) Paul Cohen (d -1,2,4) Howard McRae (d -3)

NYC, October, 1962

1. 63-114 Trio Savoy MG 12178

2. 63-115 Quartet -

3. 63-116 Peace -

4. 63-117 Somewhere -

* Archie Shepp-Bill Dixon Quartet (Savoy MG 12178) LP

also released on BYG as "Peace" (BYG 529101) LP

It's funny, I gave it a spin last night for the first time in a while and his playing is like night and day from what he's done in subsequent years. At the same time, the music - and soloing on his part - is very, very clear. He's got a pretty complete conception (i.e., doing exactly what he wanted to do/could do at the time), even if it would change over the ensuing years. Thanks for the refresher, Chuck.

This looks like something I would like to hear. I checked www.gemm.com and they have the LP listed for $289. A little beyond my budget in these tough economic time. There is another BYG LP listed on amazon titled Consequences. Anyone have any idea what that is?

This looks like something I would like to hear. I checked www.gemm.com and they have the LP listed for $289. A little beyond my budget in these tough economic time. There is another BYG LP listed on amazon titled Consequences. Anyone have any idea what that is?

That's a reissue of a 1964 Savoy album that featured Dixon with a larger ensemble on one side, and Shepp with the New York Contemporary Five on the other. It's a very good album which, unlike the Shepp/Dixon quartet date, has been reissued several times, including a CD reissue from 2001.

That's a reissue of a 1964 Savoy album that featured Dixon with a larger ensemble on one side, and Shepp with the New York Contemporary Five on the other. It's a very good album which, unlike the Shepp/Dixon quartet date, has been reissued several times, including a CD reissue from 2001.

Thank you. I saw the CD reissue of that recording. I was wondering whether it was possibly the earlier recording under another name. Since the LP is only $5.00 I would have picked it up if it was.

Guest Bill Barton

Looks like I'll need to track this one down... Thanks especially to Chuck and JohnS for the glowing recs.

An aside:

When I Googled it I found a truly hilarious "misprint" for the musician credits (now I can't recall where this originated from.) In any case, they had "Howard McGhee" rather than "Howard McRae" listed as the drummer on "Peace." Yikes!

Yeah, this is a bummer, because after the Atlantic/Savoy cd reissue of the Dixon/Shepp date, I really really want to hear this date. I wish Bill (or whoever has the tapes) would give the fans a "legal" chance to hear this date. It kind of reminds me of the Ornette Impulse's that we'll never get to hear on cd <_<

• 8 years later...