"For Singles Only" (1968)

DRD

Current critical consensus is that this is a not exactly a classic. However, it is a time capsule of the late sixties scene and it has an appearance by the Cal Tjader Quintet. Unfortunately, it is not on DVD or VHS for that matter. The stars are Mary Ann Mobley and John Saxon. If anyone has taped it off television, I'll pay you for a copy and you'll get an acknowledgement. I need it as research material for my biography of Cal Tjader.

Hi - I stumbled over another movie, too, while researching the one Tjader 45 still missing in my collection -

Fantasy 540 - Cal Tjader: As I Love You b/w I've Waited So Long

"I've Waited So Long" was also issued on LP and CD, but "As I Love You" never was - and I found a list of songs used in this movie crediting a version of this song to singer Jeri Southern. Maybe the 45 was released in conjunction with that movie?

Here are the data on the movie:

• THE BIG BEAT [1958] Universal International - ca. 86 min.

Regie: Will Cowan Produzent: Will Cowan

Darsteller: Gogi Grant, William Reynolds, Andra Martin, Jeffrey Stone

Songs:

Fats Domino - The Big Beat

Fats Domino - I'm Walkin'

Alan Copeland - As I Love You

George Shearing Quintet - As I Love You

Mills Brothers - You're Being Followed

Del Vikings - Can't Wait

Gogi Grant - You've Never Been In Love

Gogi Grant - Call Me

Gogi Grant - Lazy Love

Rose Marie mit The Lancers & Paulette Sisters - It's Great When You're Doing A Show

Diamonds - Where Mary Go

Diamonds - Little Darlin'

Jeri Southern - I Waited So Long

Cal Tjader Quintet - I Waited So Long

Four Aces - Take My Heart

from the website of a German Rock'n'Roll collector - http://freenet-homepage.de/phranc/ - I will contact him about the movie.

Edited by mikeweil

Hi - I stumbled over another movie, too, while researching the one Tjader 45 still missing in my collection -

"I've Waited So Long" was also issued on LP and CD, but "As I Love You" never was - and I found a list of songs used in this movie crediting a version of this song to singer Jeri Southern. Maybe the 45 was released in conjunction with that movie?

Songs:

Del Vikings - Can't Wait

Gogi Grant - Call Me

Gogi Grant - Lazy Love

Rose Marie mit The Lancers & Paulette Sisters - It's Great When You're Doing A Show

Diamonds - Where Mary Go

from the website of a German Rock'n'Roll collector - http://freenet-homepage.de/phranc/ - I will contact him about the movie.

I am also familiar with "The Big Beat," yet another movie Tjader was in that is not available. Al Torre has told me about the group's appearance. Thanks for the response- Duncan

• 1 year later...

Songs:

Del Vikings - Can't Wait

Gogi Grant - Call Me

Gogi Grant - Lazy Love

Diamonds - Where Mary Go

I am also familiar with "The Big Beat," yet another movie Tjader was in that is not available. Al Torre has told me about the group's appearance. Thanks for the response- Duncan

Hi Duncan,

I've been writing articles about various musicians for the magazine Wax Poetics since it first came out nearly 10 years ago and have been aiming to do something on Tjader for awhile. Then, in the process of researching I came across your efforts. Has your book been published yet? Will it be soon? I'd be interested in talking to you about doing something for Wax Poetics on Cal's life and legacy. If you're interested, please contact me at allenthayer at gmail. thanks, allen