Tete Montoliu Trio

neveronfriday

Hi everyone,

over on the vdrums.com forums someone recommended the Tete Montoliu Trio. Now, I recall seeing him in Denmark in the 70's and have since lost sight of him. Quite a bit of his stuff is available through Amazon, but I'm looking for 70's recordings featuring his trio of that time. Does anyone have any info on some more obscure CD (re-)releases not commonly found on Amazon etc.?

Any info welcome.

Cheers!

A lot of his 70s stuff seems to be on Steeplechase and Timeless, plus one on Black Lion and Enja. Some Black Lion material is being reuissed by 1201. Otherwise for that and Enja, you may have to look on Ebay. For Steeplechase, look at Jazzloft or CDUniverse. Maybe Jazzloft has Timeless. Worlds Records is always a possibility.

I could be wrong, but I thought that Peter Crawford of Stateside Distributors has the Timeless catalog. And I know Stateside is the distributor of Steeplechase, though I guess CD Universe could beat him on price.

Stateside Distributors-1004 N. California. Chicago, IL 60622-3408 Attn: Pete Crawford. Phone toll-free 1-888-776-0436 or e-mail stateside@prodigy.net

There are also the two Fresh Sounds albums Charlie Mariano with Tete Montoliu, 'It's Standard Time' volume 1 and 2. Mariano and Tete's trio (Horacio Fumero and Peer Wyboris) should be a good combination. I'm supposed to get those in the next few days.

Just ordered Vol.2 from their site! Vol.1 was "temporarily" out of stock. It´s the same for most of those Blue Note / Time Life for 5,75€! :angry:

I have them now. And they're good. It's a pleasure to listen to Charlie Mariano dig into standards like 'Moonlight in Vermont', 'Flamingo' or 'Too Marvelous For Words'. Beautiful blowing dates with Tete Montoliu in fine shape.

In the batch of Fresh Sounds I got was also a 2CD Tete Montoliu set 'Momentos Inolvidables de Una Vida' that came out in 1997. Have not had time to listen to that one yet. The set includes previously released sides by Montoliu from Fresh Sounds, Ensayo and Discophon plus a couple of unissued sides with J.R. Monterose and Jerome Richardson.

The booklet mentions a 2CD set from 1990 of a Monterose/Montoliu set. Could not find that one on the Fresh Sounds site. Has this been released? This should be an interesting combination too.