Jimmy Ponder

Tom 1960

I've always thought the bonus tracks to "Grass Roots" really shine (maybe even more than the originally released session), and I think in large measure because of the inclusion of Ponder, AND how Ponder rises to the occasion with some really 'tart' playing. :cool: I'd kill to find some more guitar playing of that sort, in that kind of "off-kilter" context.

front.JPG

One of my favorite John Patton BN dates includes Patton as well, "That Certain Feeling" (1968) with Junior Cook and Clifford Jarvis. It's on the Patton Mosaic Select, and is a fantastic date (IMHO).

i96343op4o1.jpgi62969fsif2.jpg

And two other more recent sessions of his that I really like are "Live at the Other End", a live SOLO date from 1982 (I think), with tunes I really like, and some that I suspect you'd almost never hear on solo jazz guitar: Work Song, Jitterbug Waltz, Freedom Jazz Dance(!), Con Alma, Milestones(!), Stella by Starlight, and All the Things You Are.

And even more recently, "Somebody's Child" (2007) has an absolutely KILLIN' version of Woody Shaw's "Moontrane", plus "Seven Steps to Heaven", and Pharoah Sanders' "The Creator Has a Master Plan".

:tup:tup:tup

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Jimmy's a good player. Maybe better than good. He took Wes somewhere. A lotta guys just copied. He has a good feeling for blues and he sings well, too. I always enjoyed him.

There's another guy I heard years ago who impressed me and you never hear about him anymore: O Donnell Levy. Anyone know anything? Black guy with a Jewish surname, Irish first. He did Tommy Flanagan one better.....

i wish it was for a reason as profound and unpredictiable like an unfortunate death....in reality it was prob. BN's music-biz B.S, thats what i have my money on....wasn't BARRY HARRIS wanting to record a trio session for BN, Al Lion refused to give him a contract- there are other examples like this, i just dont remember, but im sure you guys could help fill it in

I have a few of O'Donel Levy's funkier albums from the 70s, one called Simba and another called Everything I Do Gonna Be Funky. I got them from eMusic. Really good player, but I haven't heard him outside this context.

I have a few of O'Donel Levy's funkier albums from the 70s, one called Simba and another called Everything I Do Gonna Be Funky. I got them from eMusic. Really good player, but I haven't heard him outside this context.
He had the big Afro and the whole '9' :D. I remember seeing some of his LPs when I first got interested in jazz guitar---I rode my dinosaur over to Sam Goody and there they were. I thought his name was funny (whaddaya expect from a 17-year-old? Maybe I was 20...). But when I finally had ears to hear him----'nuther story. He can play. Hope he's alive and well.

Speaking of 'ain't but a few...', I heard my man Michael Howell the other night in good form. He was playing with a good singer named Andrea Wolper and Harvey S. (who wound up driving me home, since i live on the way, and my car is in the hands of the White Plains PD---too much info, I know). all sounded really nice, not loud, just musical. It was a pleasure to hear. Michael gets a clear, nice, almost acoustic sound and is a total pro. Harvey can play his ass off. I was unfamiliar with Ms. Wolper but asked a friend to introduce us.

There's still good music out there---every night of the week---and it's important to remember this.

Ponder returned to Pittsburgh many years ago, and plays around here frequently - often with Gene Ludwig and Roger Humphries - and sounds as good as ever. As for "Jump" - the sound of Eddie Gladden's crash cymbal (which he's all over on the session) spoils the session for me - maybe it's the early digital technology, I can't figure it out - especially evident on the third cut, but shows up all through the album. If someone has this I'd appreciate a second opinion.

Ponder returned to Pittsburgh many years ago, and plays around here frequently - often with Gene Ludwig and Roger Humphries - and sounds as good as ever. As for "Jump" - the sound of Eddie Gladden's crash cymbal (which he's all over on the session) spoils the session for me - maybe it's the early digital technology, I can't figure it out - especially evident on the third cut, but shows up all through the album. If someone has this I'd appreciate a second opinion.

Probably DMM distortion - typical of that era. I'll dig the LP out and see if I can notice it.

Did anyone ever hear of this O Donnell Levy character I mentioned earlier? He really was a good player. Wonder what ever became of him.

'Ain't but a few of us left'.............................Milt Jackson

Ponder did a few sessions as a leader for Groove Merchant back in the 1970s. The best of them is 'Simba' Groove Merchant 526. Released in 1973 it features arrangements by Manny Albam.

He played on some other Groove Merchant organ sessions back in those days. I have the LP but I do believe it was released a few years ago on CD. emusic.com has several of his recordings but unfortunately Simba is not there.

• 4 years later...

Now listening to the SHM of John Patton's That Certain Feeling. :tup

Sadly, I wasn't aware of Jimmy Ponder at the time of his passing last year, even though I had a copy of Andrew Hill's Grass Roots. I bought his solo disc Live at The Other End then. Now I realise I need even more Ponder. Since Woody Shaw's composition Moontrane is a favourite I ordered Somebody's Child today.

Jimmy Ponder didn't even have his own entry in the 4th and 8th Penguin Guides.

Edited by erwbol