The Organissimo tribute CD

So as most of you know, folks here have been talking about how to support the site in a monetary way. If you're unfamilair with the discussion, you can read this thread right here.

Recently I came up with the idea for Organissimo to go into my little project studio and record a CD of classic organ tunes. Fun stuff, organ standards if you will. I'm getting some new equipment and need to play with it anyway. So the idea is to record some tunes, burn a CD-R, and sell them for $5-$7 a pop. That way if you'd like to support this site you can purchase one of these CD-Rs and all proceeds will go to maintaining this site. All extra $$ will go to our next "real" CD project which will be done in a professional studio, like before.

Ok. Simple enough. Well, Rooster Ties came up with a nice idea of letting YOU, the Organissimo Forum Members, choose the tunes we cover. I think this is a neat idea.

My only suggestions for tunes would be this: They should be classic organ tunes or tunes that you think would work well with organ that you haven't heard anybody do but that are classic tunes. The idea of this disc is sort of a tribute to the organ stuff of yore.

So throw them at us! We obviously won't be able to do all of them, but I think it's safe to say we could get enough ideas to fill the whole disc.

Oh yeah, and Cat Shatner will be on the artwork as designed by our very own Africa Brass! :)

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...or tunes that you think would work well with organ that you haven't heard anybody do but that are classic tunes.

My suggestion in that category: Joe Henderson's 'Punjab'. A great tune, which (to my knowledge) have not been done without horns.

What a great idea this is! Is it possible to pre-order? ;)

Oh yeah, and Cat Shatner will be on the artwork as designed by our very own Africa Brass! :)

Sweeet! Cat Shatner would have to be on it. You could even do one of those animated things that you tilt and he could move.

Here are my requests:

Sun Ra's "Space is the Place"

Larry Young's "Tyrone"

Big John Patton/Grant Green's "The Yodel"

I'm sure I will think of something else...

And at $7 I would buy some for gifts!

Edit: Clinton beat me to the "animated" gag! Maybe you guys could reprise the Boogaloo Sisters cover, with James T. Cat as the bartender!

My song nomination: Grant Green's "Idle Moments"

I think you guys could do a sweet version of this, maybe at a slightly faster tempo!

Edited by Big Al

I've always thought that "Stompin' at the Savoy" was ripe for an organ trio version. I don't know if anyone else has done it.

How about doing an organ version of "I'm Just a Gigalo/I Ain't Got Nobody?" That could be a lot of fun! Of course, you'd base it on Louis Prima and not David Lee Roth...

Speaking of Louis Prima, "Sing, Sing, Sing" would be a groove on organ too.

Edited by Alexander

"Moontrane". I've always wanted to do that tune.

"Brazil?" What's that?

I've seen three so far that we already do: Tyrone (not much point since we've already done Jim's take on it: Young's Dream), The Yodel :tup B) , and Organ Grinder's Swing.

Keep 'em coming; this is fun!

Edit: I see Jim and I are tripping over each other here...

Edited by Joe G

Maybe you could tell us the "classic" organ tunes you already have in your book. That way, we could maybe get a few that are already in rotation.... :D

That was the original idea. At the rate of requests we're getting, we might have to do a double-CD set!!! :)

Some of the tunes mentioned we already do such as Tyrone, The Yodel, and Organ Grinder's Swing. But I like these suggestions.

:tup