The NEW Hammond B-3

mzm2lh

Hello people, I am new to this so apologise in advance for any social blunders.

So down here in Australia, tonewheel / clonewheel organs are pretty scarce, but I am considering options since I'm getting tired of trying to make do with a Nord Electro. I had a look at a new B-3, which was actually 3 - 4 years old. Pretty impressive. Much more so (I thought) than the XK-3C I checked out. So can anyone offer a view as to whether I ought to consider importing and converting (220V 50Hz down here) a restored original B3 vs. splurging on a new B-3? I'm just cautious about not being able to locate spare parts etc. (but that probably applies to the new B-3 down here as well).

And also, other than the on-board Leslie sim, is there any compelling reason to go for the Mk2 (new B3)? It's just that with the exchange rate, the Mk2 is quite a bit more expensive.

What are you going to use it for? Home/church use only? If its going to be stationary, then the New B3 is a good choice, since a real tonewheel is hard to come by.

The Xk3/Xk3c uses the same sound engine as the New B3. The big difference is that the New B3 has a fully analog keying system which replicates the 9 bussbar system in the original tonewheel console organs. In other words, that "key click" sound is authentic instead of sampled. Other than that, they are essentially the same.

I use an XK3/XK System because I play gigs and need something transportable and the B3P (the "portable" version of the New B3) was out of my price range. I prefer the look of the XK Traditional System anyway.

I don't know much about the Mk2. This is from jmcs on the XK3 Yahoo Users Group who just saw Tony Monaco play on in Indianapolis last weekend:

"I heard Tony Monaco play the New B3 Mk II through a 971 Leslie tonight. I don't think it gets better than that. He also played the Hammond 44 on a few songs and played the New B3 through a Vocoder on a couple of songs."

He posts on the Keyboard Magazine forum as well as being the moderator of the XK3 Yahoo Users Group. You could probably get more information from him.

I think you're on the right track. Just be sure to get a real Leslie for it, either a tube model or the 3300.

Thanks for the quick response. It would take up residence in my home, and I'll make do with the Nord when gigging (which isn't often anyway). Thanks also for the leads; I'll get onto them straight away. Where is the new B-3 manufactured, anyway? Is it built in the U.S. or overseas? Thanks again for your help.

• 1 month later...

I have a very good B3P and do contact us at yiwase@hotmail.com

Hello people, I am new to this so apologise in advance for any social blunders.

So down here in Australia, tonewheel / clonewheel organs are pretty scarce, but I am considering options since I'm getting tired of trying to make do with a Nord Electro. I had a look at a new B-3, which was actually 3 - 4 years old. Pretty impressive. Much more so (I thought) than the XK-3C I checked out. So can anyone offer a view as to whether I ought to consider importing and converting (220V 50Hz down here) a restored original B3 vs. splurging on a new B-3? I'm just cautious about not being able to locate spare parts etc. (but that probably applies to the new B-3 down here as well).

And also, other than the on-board Leslie sim, is there any compelling reason to go for the Mk2 (new B3)? It's just that with the exchange rate, the Mk2 is quite a bit more expensive.

• 4 months later...

Hi Jim im a little confused Is the New B3 the same organ as the New B3 mk2 i asked tonewheel dude on youtube but i felt they kinda sidesteped the question

they just said look at the hammond home page but i suspect they are playing the same game as yamaha which is when you get a new product all referances to the old product disapear.

thanks

Denver Morgan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...

Well, eight years later and I actually have both; a new B3 Mk2 and a 1965 (or thereabouts) A100 which I imported myself and had tweaked to run on local 240V 50Hz current.  In my experience, every old Hammond is unique, and my A100 is a punchy but fairly mellow beast.  It's tone is far warmer, deeper and cleaner than the Mk2, but the keyboards are noisier,  and less refined to the touch.  If I could only have one, it would be the A100.