R.I.P. Harry Abraham

Guest Bill Barton

Guest Bill Barton

Thanks to Tom Marcello for posting this link on Facebook. Back in the late 1960s-1970s I listened religiously (yes, I think that's the right word) to "The Best of All Possible Worlds" on clear-channel WHAM-AM from Rochester. Harry Abraham was one of my role-models (perhaps the major one) in how I approach doing radio. R.I.P. to a master broadcaster.

Harry Abraham remembrance...

For those of us who never heard him, what was his approach to jazz radio, what made him special?

Harry only played new releases for the most part. In those days there weren't as many as today.

He opened up the show with a prerecorded introduction (with music by Yusef Lateef), and during the time he talked, there was a solo piano piece that Les McCan recorded in the studio, that played in the background.

He was knowledgeable and opinionated, but always laid back. He told all about the release as far as sidemen, label and recording date, so he taught many listeners about who was on the scene. That's something that's rare today.

Here are some links:

Harry at WHAM

The Best of all Possible Worlds introduction

Harry Abraham on Jazz Radio Programing

I knew Harry Abraham slightly when he and I both lived in Rochester,NY. Hung out with him a couple of times.

Unfortunately, after Harry left Rochester he got into serious trouble - involved in bank robbery - and I believe spent time in prison.

Harry and Will Moyle were the two major jazz voices on the radio in Rochester back then.