Roswell Rudd

slide_advantage_redoux

I think the Rudd/Shepp reunion is not bad, but certainly not BAD in any way, either!

Quite a nice affair, and with Grachan Moncur III added, they produce some nice sounds. Rhythm section is strong, but Shepp does too much piano playing and singing. A little bit of an inconsistent disc, in my opinion.

I have never heard the Lacy/Rudd.

ubu

I think that's fair, K-U, and would recommend earlier Shepp/Rudd Impulse issues first, though there are moments. Featured Rudd last night on my radio program and really thought "Mixed" with Cecil and Rudd's arrangement of 'Naima" on "Four For Trane" were incredible, still. Especially the chamber sound world of Mixed juxtaposed with the entrance of Jimmy Lyons. Also played Communication #11 from the JCOA which would have to the high water mark of Rudd's classic avant period.

Ubu — If you haven't heard any Lacy/Rudd recordings, you're in for a big treat. I'd pick up School Days first — a great live session. Though recorded with only a single microphone, it actually sounds pretty darned good, with Henry Grimes especially audible.

I'm still wondering about the "lost" Lacy/Rudd sessions on Verve and Columbia from around 1963. (I think Chuck or Michael Fitzgerald righted me on this topic a while ago. Can't remember what got said, though.)

On a Rudd related (or inspired) note ...

Mr. Redoux — have you checked out Steve Swell? If not, you're in for a huge treat. (I'm guessing you've already checked him out, though.) Swell, while his own person on the trombone, comes out of the Rudd (and Dickenson? and Ray Anderson?) mold, and plays with a wonderful exuberance.

I highly recommend a trio recording of his on CIMP entitled Atmospheels. It's a trio recording with the wonderful Lou Grassi on drums and Will Connover (a veteran from Horace Tapscott's Arkestra) on alto saxophone, clarinet, and bass clarinet. Not having a bass in the mix really frees Swell up to converse with Grassi, and lots of exciting "duologs," as a result, take place. Swell's recorded quite a bit for CIMP, and if you like this disc, you'll have more to explore in the same vein.

This is a fun disc that I think Ros himself would get a kick out of!

:tup

Edited by Late

• 2 weeks later...

"MaliCool" came out in France on Verve and on Sunnyside in the US.

It is a very nice recording with Roswell Rudd playing along with some famous Malian kora players. This is not some kind of uninspired "world music" but a very nice meeting with a lot of freshness and natural feeling between the trombone sound and the soft kora picking heard in an intimate setting. It was recorded in Bamako, actually. I guess you can say this is some kind of peaceful Africa/Cool as opposed to the brilliant and explosive Africa/Brass, like the other face of the African continent. Beautiful to my ears.