"Young Wynton: Early Marsalis"

Featuring his 1980-82 recordings with Art Blakey, Chico Freeman, Herbie Hancock, and Wayne Shorter--now archived for online listening:

Young Wynton: Early Marsalis

...and now donning my flame-resistant web-surfing gear. ^_^:ph34r:

Next week: "Turn Out the Stars, V. 3." More jazz tributes to departed musicians.

Edited by ghost of miles

I just found this afrofunk album from 1980 by one Aleke Kanonu that features a rather lengthy flugelhorn solo by the young Mr. Marsalis. He sounds alive, he sounds youthful, he sounds honest, he actually sounds human! :g

I hope these images show:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_2elB_EYGP_4/Sa67...s1600/Front.jpg

Front.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_2elB_EYGP_4/Sa67...s1600/Back2.jpg

Back2.jpg

Edited by JSngry

Oh, hear comes another Wynton-slamming fest. Quell jejune.

I was standing looking out at the most magnificent view of Central Park West from the JALC yesterday. All I can say is he made that amazing achievement happen, not any of you wiseasses (in advance to the gush of comments surely to come). Plus, contrary to popular ignorance----at least in the 2 encounters I've had with Wynton, and I surely don't claim to know the man----he could not have been cooler or nicer.

Jealousy is so easy and cheap. Ditto Internet 'bravery'. Go home practice instead. Master your instrument and become a world-wide advocate for jazz/talent scout. Then get back to us...................

Edited by fasstrack

he's great until you disagree with him; the money used to access the view you describe could have been used to fund every jazz musician in the universe.

I'm already home, and I have been practicing, for 30-40 years; and I have been an advocate for jazz since 1968, when nobody else was doing anything. big fuckin deal. Bill Triglia was a better advocate for jazz than Wynton. Someday I'll tell you about the response I got when I wrote a long letter to JLC, years ago, suggesting that they honor guys like Bill and the whole second generation of beboppers who had slipped into neglect and decline.

Edited by AllenLowe

• 3 weeks later...

The inspiration/idea to do this show, iirc, came from reading Larry Kart's book--a book any jazz fan should read in general, but in this case particularly the passages I cite on the Young Wynton program page. IMO these early recordings would appeal to many lovers of classic hardbop/straightahead jazz (which describes a fair-ish amount of this board, I think) and/or even those who would normally avoid Marsalis recordings. Although I alluded in the show to WM's post-1982 development as both musician and personality/jazz spokesperson, the intent was to attempt to focus primarily on the music that he was a part of during his first years on the jazz scene, at a point before his image became such a large element of any discussion about him.

Edited by ghost of miles

The inspiration/idea to do this show, iirc, came from reading Larry Kart's book--a book any jazz fan should read in general, but in this case particularly the passages I cite on the Young Wynton program page. IMO these early recordings would appeal to many lovers of classic hardbop/straightahead jazz (which describes a fair-ish amount of this board, I think) and/or even those who would normally avoid Marsalis recordings. Although I alluded in the show to WM's post-1982 development as both musician and personality/jazz spokesperson, the intent was to attempt to focus primarily on the music that he was a part of during his first years on the jazz scene, at a point before his image became such a large element of any discussion about him.

Yes, I certainly fit the description of "lover of classic hardbop/straightahead jazz" and I found the music on this show - which was largely new to me - absolutely superb.

• 1 year later...

On 5/17/2009 at 4:58 PM, ghost of miles said:

Featuring his 1980-82 recordings with Art Blakey, Chico Freeman, Herbie Hancock, and Wayne Shorter--now archived for online listening:

Young Wynton: Early Marsalis

...and now donning my flame-resistant web-surfing gear. ^_^:ph34r:

We re-aired Young Wynton: Early Marsalis this past week and it remains archived for online listening.

Coming up this week: "As Evening Falls: Jazz Nocturnes."

Edited by ghost of miles

• 11 years later...
On 10/21/2021 at 7:24 AM, Rabshakeh said:

Are these available to download as podcasts? I've tried looking but can't find it on the usual Spotifys etc.

We'd have to cut the music tracks down to a minute or less in order to do that, unfortunately.  We've discussed doing a short mini-version of each episode that would be downloadable or available through streaming services, but that would probably require some part-time production help.  (Like WFIU's other syndicated shows, Night Lights is a one-man band. Not at all a complaint, as I'm grateful for it to be a part of my job duties, but it does make it difficult to take on any additional tasks.)

3 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

We'd have to cut the music tracks down to a minute or less in order to do that, unfortunately.  We've discussed doing a short mini-version of each episode that would be downloadable or available through streaming services, but that would probably require some part-time production help.  (Like WFIU's other syndicated shows, Night Lights is a one-man band. Not at all a complaint, as I'm grateful for it to be a part of my job duties, but it does make it difficult to take on any additional tasks.)

That’s understandable. Thanks anyway.

On 10/22/2021 at 2:59 PM, ghost of miles said:

One solution is to upload radio shows to archive.org, where listeners can stream or download them at their leisure. Of course, studio time may be at premium at WFIU and you may not have the extra time available.

My station manager has no problem with my archiving my Timeless Jazz shows elsewhere, so I've been doing that for close to a year. After I produce my show, it only takes a few more minutes to upload each of the two hours. It would be even faster if I only uploaded mp3 files, but I produce my show in WAV, even though it is converted to mp3s by the station before broadcast.