*** Cecil Taylor ***

Aggie87

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Margaret, I meant anyone from this board. I had seen that the Taylor/Oxley concert was sold out some time ago, as it should be. I live in Washington so couldn't get up to the Whitney because of work deadlines. Proud to say I took the train up about 10(?) years ago and saw nearly every set of the big band at Iridium. what a mind blowing experience, every night. Even when the third set one night made me miss the last train of the night and I basically wandered around Manhattan till 5 am.

I made it down for the two Saturday performances - Andrew Cyrille, Enrico Rava and William Parker, then the added Cecil performance with Okkyung Lee, Harri Sjöström, Jackson Krall and Tony Oxley (electronics). I also had a ticket for the Friday night when Muntu performed, but regrettably decided not to make the trip down. I'm happy I was able to be a "witness" for the two days I did get down.

• 2 years later...

71kR6HL%2BVpL._SL1002_.jpg

https://www.discogs.com/Cecil-Taylor-Conversations-With-Tony-Oxley/release/11968290

Companies, etc.

Credits

Notes

Recorded February 20, 2008 at Kammermusiksaal der Philharmonie Berlin.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Has anybody heard this new Cecil Taylor release on Jazzwerkstatt?
Edited by erwbol

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

Are those Black Sun CDs legit?

I am under the impression they are. Indent (on CD) finally gives you the feeling you are listening to a real piano.

From their website

Celestial Harmonies, div. of Mayflower Music Corp. has been in business since 1972. The company is affiliated with German music company E.R.P. Musikverlag Eckart Rahn of Berlin.

E.R.P. has been in business since 1968, making it one of the oldest, if not the oldest, independent music companies dating from the 1960s, still being operated day-by-day by the founder, with no change of ownership and a catalogue of app. 8,000 copyrights held, both recordings and compositions.

For Indent it says in the booklet: "Analog remastering by Jack Ashkinazy, CBS Studios, New York. Digital remastering by Frank Jacobsen, Bremen. Originally released by Cecil Taylor on Unit Core Records. Eckart Rahn supervised the re-issue from the original recording made on reel-to-reel tape at 7 1/2 i.p.s. halftrack stereo to vinyl and later CD."

There are both CD and CDr entries for Poschiavo on Discogs. I contacted the label by email last month, and they explained a very small number of review copies were released on CDr while they were waiting for the CDs to arrive from the pressing plant. By now these should all be off the market. I ordered through Amazon and got a real CD. For Indent no CDrs were released.

Edited by erwbol

• 2 years later...

I am thinking about ordering the Ultra-Vybe cd release of Air Above Mountains from CdJapan, which appears to have track lengths matching the track lengths of the original lp release. 

I noticed that there was a cd release by Ward Records with longer track lengths.  Was the original lp release edited, with the Ward Records release restoring material edited out of the lp release? 

Ward Records – TKCW-32190, Enja Records – TKCW-3219

Air Above Mountains < Buildings Within > Part One 44:30

Air Above Mountains < Buildings Within > Part Two 31:44

Ultra-Vybe – UVJZ-10043, Enja Records – UVJZ-10043

Air Above Mountains < Buildings Within > Part One25:40

Air Above Mountains < Buildings Within > Part Two25:37

17 minutes ago, sonnyhill said:

I am thinking about ordering the Ultra-Vybe cd release of Air Above Mountains from CdJapan, which appears to have track lengths matching the track lengths of the original lp release. 

I noticed that there was a cd release by Ward Records with longer track lengths.  Was the original lp release edited, with the Ward Records release restoring material edited out of the lp release? 

Ward Records – TKCW-32190, Enja Records – TKCW-3219

Air Above Mountains < Buildings Within > Part One 44:30

Air Above Mountains < Buildings Within > Part Two 31:44

Ultra-Vybe – UVJZ-10043, Enja Records – UVJZ-10043

Air Above Mountains < Buildings Within > Part One25:40

Air Above Mountains < Buildings Within > Part Two25:37

Yes. Both editions of the regular Enja CD are the same, however:

R-8344995-1596730513-5204.jpeg.jpg

Edited by colinmce

• 7 months later...

via Phil Freeman on facebook:

Coming in February 2022 - the COMPLETE Town Hall concert from November 1973. The last 40 minutes of the show have been available for decades as Spring Of 2 Blue J's, but the first 90 minutes - a single piece called "Autumn/Parade" - have never been released before. Remastered from the original tapes, with Jimmy Lyons (alto sax), Sirone (bass), and Andrew Cyrille (drums).

No pre-order link yet; it's coming out on Oblivion Records, a small label run by Fred Seibert, who engineered the recording.

May be an image of 1 person and text that says 'CEOIL TAYLOR ANDREW CYRILLE JIMMY LYONS SIRONE THE COMPLETE, LEGENDARY, LIVE RETURN CONCERT THE TOWN HALL NYC NOVEMBER NYCNOVEMBER4,1973 4, 1973'

yes at last!!

wonder if the "digital" release means download only or will we see physical product?

I presume it'll be a CD since there's a 23 page booklet associated with the release

The Complete, Legendary, Live Return Concert by Cecil Taylor will be available as a digital release on February 11, 2021 via Oblivion Records. Accompanying the digital release is a 23-page booklet featuring an essay by Alan Goodman. This release marks a revival for Oblivion – the label’s last announced release was in 1975. 

Edited by romualdo

8 hours ago, romualdo said:

yes at last!!

wonder if the "digital" release means download only or will we see physical product?

I presume it'll be a CD since there's a 23 page booklet associated with the release

The Complete, Legendary, Live Return Concert by Cecil Taylor will be available as a digital release on February 11, 2021 via Oblivion Records. Accompanying the digital release is a 23-page booklet featuring an essay by Alan Goodman. This release marks a revival for Oblivion – the label’s last announced release was in 1975. 

Yikes, I hope it's on CD as well. It doesn't sound a lot like it from this.

On 11/17/2021 at 8:55 AM, colinmce said:

Yikes, I hope it's on CD as well. It doesn't sound a lot like it from this.

Yeah, a shame.  I'd jump on a CD set, but longer announcement says "accompanying the digital release is a 23 page booklet...".

• 2 months later...