Boston Jazz Recommendations

Ed S

I think I'm heading out for a weekend in Boston at the end of June.

I see that Terence Blanchard is at Scullers, which I might take in. I've also read mention of Regattabar as a good place, though nothing is scheduled as of now. Any other recommendations?

I have to say that my wife and I enjoy national acts, but we have a real like for the neighborhood bar that has a really good band sort of thing. I'd be just as happy hearing some of the best local Boston talent as I would Terence Blanchard. We like Jazz and Blues and are not afraid to venture out of the "club" sort of venue into local bars.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

I wish I had good news, but the Blanchard show appears to be the best (only?) offering while you're in town. The Regattabar used to be quite good, but since the blue note nightclub folks took over their bookings a few years ago, it has gone downhill considerably. Regardless, it looks like they will be closed for a couple of weeks at the end of June.

There are other, less traditional, venues that I tend to gravitate towards these days. These include small art galleries like The Lily Pad and The Outpost, both located in Cambridge. Neither space appears to be offering anything interesting while you're in town. I'll keep my eyes open. I get a weekly listing of shows from Charlie Kohlhase, and that often includes additional venues like local libraries, galleries, and even the YMCA!

• 8 years later...

Ryles Jazz Club in Cambridge's Inman Square Is Closing

by Marc Hurwitz

It looks like another music club is calling it a day, and this one has been around for a very long time.

According to an article in The Boston Globe, Ryles Jazz Club in Cambridge's Inman Square is closing, with owner Gary Mitchell (who runs the place with his sister Aimee Baum) saying that the Hampshire Street spot is being sold so that his family can focus on the S&S Restaurant, a deli on the same block that his great-grandmother opened nearly 100 years ago. No specific closing date has been given as of yet, but the Globe mentions a Facebook post from the Soul City Band that indicates it could be shutting down at the end of June.

Ryles Jazz Club, which first opened in the late 1970s, is an institution of sorts that has seen the likes of Grover Washington Jr., Pat Metheny, Maynard Ferguson and others play over the years; while the original owner was Jack Reilly, Mitchell and his family have run the place for the past 25 years.

The address for Ryles Jazz Club is 212 Hampshire Street, Cambridge, MA, 02139. Its website can be found at http://www.rylesjazz.com

• 10 months later...

Bill Banfield from Berklee College of Music is opening a Jazz Cafe

https://www.berklee.edu/focused/africana/director

Mayor Walsh announced tonight that musician William Banfield will be opening a cafe in Dudley Square's Bolling Building that will couple a restaurant with performances that will range from jazz to dance and theater.

Banfield, a professor at Berklee College of Music, says that while his JazzUrbane Cafe will serve up food and entertainment at night, during the day he will open it up for use by community groups and arts organizations.

Walsh announced Banfield's selection for the 7,800 square feet of space in the city-owned building during his State of the City address tonight.

In a statement, Banfield said:

I am excited for the opportunity to create a truly unique experience in Roxbury, to bring back jazz to Dudley Square, and build an establishment that will become a destination for all residents and visitors.

An opening date was not announced.