Who are you just discovering?

Hardbopjazz

Mick Taylor's recorded output is surprisingly meager--he only has two studio recordings as a leader--the second one, A Stone's Throw, is highly recommended. A live date, Coastin' Home, has some pretty dynamic playing on it. A more obscure date which is outside the usual blues/rock style, is quite good--Miyuki, Mick and I. With the Bluesbreakers, there's also Diary of a Band--live recordings with somewhat primitive sound, but pretty good.

I recall seeing him c. 1975 with Carla Bley and Jack Bruce in a band that lasted a very short time.

I really enjoy his guitar sound and style--my second favorite Bluesbreaker after Peter Green. I saw him with Mayall during a 1983 reunion tour, and in a small club engagement in Dallas a few years later. In the latter case, his signature sound was very much in evidence.

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bluesbreakers disc with Peter Green is really great! Filled to the brim, it includes the EP they did with Paul Butterfield, a single or two, as well as the one BBC session with Green (which is great, although Green isn't that prominent). Green also turns up as guest on a track on "Laurel Canyon" and the "Bare Wires" album contains another single with Green (and Aynsley Dunbar - is that the "same" Sly Dunbar of Sly & Robbie, btw?).

As for Mick Taylor... I'm not as much of a fan that I'll go and search for his stuff. I first heard him with Dylan and still like "Real Live" a lot, and his contributions are quite responsible for that, I think (but there are a few very fine overall perofrmances on that album as well).

• 2 months later...

One of This year's discovers for me may well be Arthur Blythe.

I already long had his Savants Spirit In The Fields and Focus, but somehow never heard those cds close, deep enough. Some months ago I finally did at lenght and was so thrilled and delighted by that alto/tuba/drums vibe I started to look for his earlier recordings. In The Tradition and Bush Baby had to be found somewhere in the internet, sadly no cd available ever to buy. Lenox Avenue is an awesome record, but Illusions thrilled me even more.

Thanks for bringing these up. Listening to some samples of Exhale now. Fantastic stuff!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Bill Barton

Daniel Mille.

The past couple of months I've really been enjoying the two CDs my friend David Beckett gave to me when I was in Vermont over Thanksgiving.

From what I've seen, these are available only as French imports, Dusty Groove has at least one on their site. A quick Google search came up with several as downloads.

Lovely music...

Magic Slim & The Teardrops

I'd heard one or two discs before and thought they were solid Chicago blues but at Christmas I picked up Rough Dried Woman on Wolf which turned out to be an outstanding disc and now I've used a Barnes & Noble coupon to get a great price on a another Wolf releease, 44 Blues.

My brother calls him "journeyman" and "not distinctive" but I beg to differ.

Magic Slim & The Teardrops

I'd heard one or two discs before and thought they were solid Chicago blues but at Christmas I picked up Rough Dried Woman on Wolf which turned out to be an outstanding disc and now I've used a Barnes & Noble coupon to get a great price on a another Wolf releease, 44 Blues.

My brother calls him "journeyman" and "not distinctive" but I beg to differ.

A blog entry.

Just now getting into: Jerry Bergonzi. Very nice ... somewhat Joe Farrell-like.

Saw the Jerry Bergonzi Trio here in Manchester three months ago. Was very impressed, even to the point of being reminded of Coltrane of the Crescent period! :tup

Just now getting into: Jerry Bergonzi. Very nice ... somewhat Joe Farrell-like.

Saw the Jerry Bergonzi Trio here in Manchester three months ago. Was very impressed, even to the point of being reminded of Coltrane of the Crescent period! :tup

Cool. Next time he makes it out to the West Coast, I'll have to catch a show.

• 3 weeks later...