Who are you just discovering?

Hardbopjazz

Blue Oyster Cult (the first three LPs).

All I have to do is see the cover of Tyranny and Mutation, and the memories of another time come flooding back... :D

Wow. Cool!

Yeah, they don't call me 'cutting edge' for nothing; I have to pay them...

I think I had a "vested identity interest" in not liking the Grateful Dead, if that makes sense. I was proud to be part of the crowd that believed Terrapin Station had some points, but the rest of it was meaningless. Stupid ego.

Edited by Jazzmoose

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Recently got into Eric Alexander. I started with 'Man With a Horn' and was sold. He's really 'in the tradition'. He seems to have a pretty big discography and a lovely sound. Something of a light heavyweight to my ears- between 'Trane and Mobley. I can pick up his early Criss Cross output pretty cheaply at the Disk Union stores in Tokyo.

• 2 months later...

Lester Bowie. How did I not get into his playing before now I don't know. Wynton Marsalis had criticism of Bowie, saying he didn't have a traditional approach to playing the trumpet, I disagree 100%. He had an original approach to playing the trumpet. He left this world to young.

Edited by Hardbopjazz

Believe it or not, the Grateful Dead. Better forty years late than never, I suppose.

Me too. Haven't drunk the Kool Aid yet, but I'm finding quite a bit of stuff I enjoy.

Basically the country-tinged stuff still has me running for the exit...but the trippy fusion-y stuff is awesome.

I've come to love some of the country stuff, and some of the country treatments of songs that are sometimes flat out rockin' tunes later.

I guess I've come to love how they touch parts of almost all American music, and their addressing these different styles enriches all they do.

What a band they are. Today I'll probably get the new Road Trips delivered.

Blue Oyster Cult (the first three LPs).

Those 3 records are killer. They were in that interesting "proto-metal" era that spans from about 1968-1975, a time when even "hard rock" bands were experimenting in all kinds of interesting directions. Wasn't really until Judas Priest came out with Sad Wings Of Destiny in 1976 that the accepted "classic metal" style formed (constructed with the basic building blocks provided by Sabbath, Zeppelin & Deep Purple).

Unfortunately, the experimentation went away for quite awhile, at least until 1983.

• 2 weeks later...

Fruscella is wonderful!

For once, this is one of the better ways to get his music (most of it):

http://www.amazon.fr/Complete-Works-Tony-Fruscella/dp/B00004LMQY/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1278336068&sr=1-8

Seems pretty OOP, but maybe you'll be lucky and find it somewhere... it duplicates the Atlantic album with Eager of course but that Eager 2CD set you picture above is mostly a cheapo hack job anyway (I have it as well and was slighty pissed to see how much of it I already had elsewhere...)

Guest Wallace

Joachim Kuhn's late 60's to early 70's stuff.

Some of his MPS titles are very interesting, especially the very rare "Cinemascope" lp (with the wonderful foc art) and "Bold".

"The Mad Rockers" lp is never spoken of as being cornerstone (as is something like the first King Crimson) but it should be.

Practically nobody was playing that sort of music - especially the first track - that early in the game.

A fav 70s work is his most proggiest fusion lp , "Sunshower". (Or perhaps Im mixing this up with another Kuhn??)

Not altogether sure if this counts - but it's an archivist rather than a musician. Hugh Tracey founded the International Library of African Music in 1954, travelling the continent and recording all sorts of things. I've been listening to "Forgotten Sounds from Mozambique" and it's a fascinating document - so I will be looking for more...