Who are you just discovering?

Hardbopjazz

We may have had this discussion before, but I will raise it again.

Any artist or artists that you just been floored by recently that you new of but never really gave that extra effort listening to.

I've been listening to Lucky Thompson these past few days and have been amazed how great he is. Although I have a number of CDs with him I never devoted myself to focusing on his playing. That has all changed this week.

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dave Schildkraut (Thanks, Allen Lowe). I had heard him on Miles Davis' "Solar" session, of course, but for some reason had not paid him much attention. He impressed me more on Eddie Bert's Like Cool. But based on Allen's comments, I picked up George Handy's Handyland USA, on which Schildkraut is just incredible.

Dave Schildkraut (Thanks, Allen Lowe). I had heard him on Miles Davis' "Solar" session, of course, but for some reason had not paid him much attention. He impressed me more on Eddie Bert's Like Cool. But based on Allen's comments, I picked up George Handy's Handyland USA, on which Schildkraut is just incredible.

Schildkraut has some "more than interesting" solos on Kenton Showcase.

Schildkraut has some "more than interesting" solos on Kenton Showcase.

Thanks - I'll check it out. Kenton's someone I dismissed for years, but really started exploring a couple of years ago.

The thing with improvised music, however, is that I can get a continual rediscovery of music that I thought I was familiar with. I don't get that feeling nearly as much with rock music - once I know it, I usually feel like I know it. YMMV.

Yeah, with music of any complexity, listening to it over time is an ascending spiral. You're covering the same territory, but grasping/understanding/appreciating more and more of it with each listen. And the higher you go, the more you can see more how it fits in with other music.

Guest Bill Barton

Recent "discoveries" include:

Darcy James Argue

Soundassembly

Crackleknob (knew about them before but just bought the hatOLOGY CD - superb!)

Guest Bill Barton

Cool. Stowell is the shit. The new solo CD Solitary Tales is very fine.

Speaking of guitarists... I guess that Mary Halvorson would be in the category of "just discovering" for me, although it's been a few months since I first heard some of her work with Braxton, then the amazing Dragon's Head CD, and now Crackleknob.

Sadly no one. After fifty years of listening to jazz I've sampled a lot. I know what I like. I don't particularly enjoy a lot of what is going on these days and I don't have the inclination to delve into it.

You said it for me, John! :blush:

due to lastfm spotify and deezer i do much more discovering than i used to... not so much single artists at the moment, rather "projects", one project is violin players, jenny scheinman, mark feldman, carla kilhstedt, leroy jenkins... another one is california saxophone players earl anderza, jimmy woods, hadley caliman, teddy edwards, daniel jackson, the guys on nimbus west... i have also started listening to "hyped jazz musicians of today" recently, a group of people i had neglected for a few years, played matana roberts, lionel loueke, mahanthappa/iyer...; also quite a bit of discovering in the esp disk and tzadik catalogs... then i also developed an interest in "piano dominated" jazz which i had avoided for quite some time, mostly along two lines, the beboppers like bud powell, al haig, duke jordan, dodo marmarosa and through the french pianists, michel graillier, georges arvanitas, martial solal, also alain jean marie,... (which actually also got me started with european jazz more seriously for the first time...)

single artists i am most interested in at the moment are mal waldron and sonny simmons... (but both on and off for quite some time)

fifteen years into listening to jazz and i believe i rarely discovered more than at the moment...

The French pianist Alain Jean-Marie. I like the new 2-cd Jazz in Paris thing by him.

Oh yeah, and T-Bone Walker! I'd never listened to him before, incredibly enough. Way cool.

greg mo

T-Bone is the source. What a man.

Jean-Marie, yeah that's a nice JIP reissue. I hadn't heard those cds before. I really only know him from the interesting work he did with Barney Wilen. May have to see if there's more to find. . . .

Stan Kenton. I have enjoyed individual Kenton alums but previous exposure has left a "tepid" impression. Any suggestions are welcomed.

I just discovered Standards In Silhouette a few months back myself. I'm in no way a Kenton fan, but this one actually moved me, something that KentonMusic rarely does.

Otherwise, I've always been partial to Adventures In Jazz. And of course, the Bob Graettinger pieces, but that's a thing unto itself, really.