Who are you just discovering?

Hardbopjazz

Cool. Stowell is the shit. The new solo CD Solitary Tales is very fine.

I'm so hip I can't stand it. That's exactly what came in the mail yesterday. I also got a copy of Scenes - Along the Way (trio recording) and now I'll have to pick up more.

There's some youtube videos with Stowell demonstrating some guitars that I liked so I thought I'd check out some recordings. I'm glad I did.

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stan Kenton. I have enjoyed individual Kenton alums but previous exposure has left a "tepid" impression. Any suggestions are welcomed.

I just discovered Standards In Silhouette a few months back myself. I'm in no way a Kenton fan, but this one actually moved me, something that KentonMusic rarely does.

Is that the one that Bill Mathieu did arrangements for?

Stan Kenton. I have enjoyed individual Kenton alums but previous exposure has left a "tepid" impression. Any suggestions are welcomed.

Give Contemporary Concepts and Kenton Showcase a try - particularly for the Bill Holman arrangements and soloists like Frank Rosolino and Bill Perkins and a stellar cast of altoists: Lee Konitz, Davey Schildkraut, Charlie Mariano and Lennie Niehaus.

I just discovered Standards In Silhouette a few months back myself. I'm in no way a Kenton fan, but this one actually moved me, something that KentonMusic rarely does.

Is that the one that Bill Mathieu did arrangements for?

Yep. Splendid work imo.

Rediscovering, actually -- Elmo Hope. Listening to "The Last Sessions," from 1966. The immediacy of his playing on, say, "Somebody Loves Me" is a rare thing. Can't think of much music that's as wholly "in the present" as Hope's is. In one sense, it's very edgy and risky, in another sense it's not; it's just Hope being himself; no intent I think to dramatize, it's just what is going on. Precious and still as "modern" as can be.

Otherwise, I've always been partial to Adventures In Jazz. And of course, the Bob Graettinger pieces, but that's a thing unto itself, really.

Kenton's West Side Story album is awesome. A lot of the more adventurous 50's stuff on Capitol is pretty tremendous. Even a lot of the late 40's stuff is pretty cool, really enjoy hearing Anita O'Day and June Christy with him. I've also been very late to the game on Kenton, just really got into him last year. Some good early 70's concert recordings by him floating around also.

Rediscovering, actually -- Elmo Hope. Listening to "The Last Sessions," from 1966. The immediacy of his playing on, say, "Somebody Loves Me" is a rare thing. Can't think of much music that's as wholly "in the present" as Hope's is. In one sense, it's very edgy and risky, in another sense it's not; it's just Hope being himself; no intent I think to dramatize, it's just what is going on. Precious and still as "modern" as can be.

Hope's a treasure. I'm so glad that BN re-released his 10incher's, which I snatched up in a heart beat.

of late:

Milcho Leviev - a nice trio album, "E.B. Blues", on a tiny/non-existing Swiss label, as well as the Don Ellis tribute solo album on Mighty Quinn

Tons of Bossa Nova, mostly from the Elenco Series (Nara, Vinicius & Cayimmi, Vinicius & Odette Lara, Odette Lara, Sergio Mendes, Jobim, and more), as well as five or six from Universal's Heritage Series (Baden Powell, Tania Maria, Sivuca, Luiz Bonfa), and more (the "Tom Feminino" sampler, "Os Afro Sambas", the soundtracks of "Orfeu Negro" and "Garota de Ipanema")

also other recent discoveries include: Fletcher Henderson and Eddie Condon (their respective runs of Chronological Classics)

and next up will likely be a first bigger dip into Oscar Peterson's music - got the Mosaic recently and hoping to get the "London Sessions", too (ordered from a marketplace seller, hope it's actually in stock...)

Charlie Parker, in a real sense. Sure I'd listened to him fairly attentively before, but on a limited selection. Peeling back more layers now, including a generous variety of live recordings. It seems with a figure like Parker it's helpful to listen to as much as you can from from early to late-period -- which, much like Coltrane, doesn't cover a large amount of time calendar-wise, but eons musically.

Putting things in a little sharper context, hopefully, and enjoying the journey.

Otherwise, I've always been partial to Adventures In Jazz. And of course, the Bob Graettinger pieces, but that's a thing unto itself, really.

Kenton's West Side Story album is awesome. A lot of the more adventurous 50's stuff on Capitol is pretty tremendous. Even a lot of the late 40's stuff is pretty cool, really enjoy hearing Anita O'Day and June Christy with him. I've also been very late to the game on Kenton, just really got into him last year. Some good early 70's concert recordings by him floating around also.

I've always been partial to "Adventures in Blues." Some great Gene Roland arrangements on that album. And of course "Kenton in Hi-Fi" with some way cool Milt Bernhart trombone!

greg mo

The French pianist Alain Jean-Marie. I like the new 2-cd Jazz in Paris thing by him.

Oh yeah, and T-Bone Walker! I'd never listened to him before, incredibly enough. Way cool.

greg mo

T-Bone is the source. What a man.

Jean-Marie, yeah that's a nice JIP reissue. I hadn't heard those cds before. I really only know him from the interesting work he did with Barney Wilen. May have to see if there's more to find. . . .

If you find something interesting by Jean-Marie, Lon, clue me in. Frankly, I ordered the cd because I'm addicted to the whole series, so I had no expectations one way or the other, but I liked it. He gets a really nice sound out of his piano, very reflective in a Bill Evans kind of way, though that may be giving both him and the cd too much credit!

greg mo

Not a "who" but a "what"... Sonny Rollins' Milestone albums - recently bought "Horn Culture", "The Cutting Edge", "Don't Ask", "Love at First Sight", and "Falling in Love with Jazz", and just now returned with "No Problem" (spinning now!) and "+3". The highlight of the bunch though is the most recent one, "This Is What I Do" - magnificient Rollins there, on each tune... amazing!