Who are you just discovering?

Hardbopjazz

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to know why I wasn't informed of Portishead. And Aphex Twin. And probably a lot more I've missed in the past. I mean, shit, it took me almost twenty-five years to get The Hollies...

You probably weren't around the good people at the time, they got quite big especially Portishead, may i suggest the first Goldfrapp album

feltmountain.jpg

and also

l38449.jpg

Pretty sure we have a thread about these trip-hop bands somewhere on the board.

Edited by Van Basten II

Though I was fond of them before, this year I became a Cowboy Junkies completist and man oh man am I enjoying them.

This purchase from last year was the one that put me over the edge and made me go back and fill in big gaps:

ZOE1121_Cover.jpg

I love the guitar sounds in this band, among other things such as the song-writing, vocals and the way they arrange things, and the often slow soulfulness.

Edited by jazzbo

Obviously the young dudes weren't doing an effective job of carrying the news!

That's actually where I made the mistake, All The Young Dudes was later...their earlier albums are much better (IMHO). It's nice to hear Mick Ralphs pre-Bad Company.

Obviously the young dudes weren't doing an effective job of carrying the news!

That's actually where I made the mistake, All The Young Dudes was later...their earlier albums are much better (IMHO). It's nice to hear Mick Ralphs pre-Bad Company.

If I remember right, they were one of many second division bands (talking success, not quality) in the early 70s, playing a common blues-rock veering towards hard rock (with pastoral bits!). 'All the Young Dudes' came as a result of major left turn - a Bowie influence, a decision to ride on the outer edges of Glam Rock. They struck gold.

The only song I know from the earlier era is a storming rocker called 'Thunderbuck Ram' which was on a great Island compilation called 'Bumpers'. A lot of my later rock listening stemmed from that record.

You probably weren't around the good people at the time, they got quite big especially Portishead,

If by "good" you mean people actually listening to music other than jazz, you're correct :lol:. I was probably still in the grip of my Total Lee Morgan Fever at the time. But I can check out your recommendations now!

If I remember right, they were one of many second division bands (talking success, not quality) in the early 70s, playing a common blues-rock veering towards hard rock (with pastoral bits!). 'All the Young Dudes' came as a result of major left turn - a Bowie influence, a decision to ride on the outer edges of Glam Rock. They struck gold.

The only song I know from the earlier era is a storming rocker called 'Thunderbuck Ram' which was on a great Island compilation called 'Bumpers'. A lot of my later rock listening stemmed from that record.

The debut album is quite interesting, kind of sounds like Dylan singing for The Rolling Stones...there's even a Doug Sahm cover tune!

Their own sound started to emerge on the second album Mad Shadows, that's the one with Thunderbuck Ram on it (which the band evidently called "blunderfuck ram" because they had to do so many takes of it in the studio before getting it right). That album ends with a song called "When My Mind's Gone", which is a completely improvised one-take song that Hunter made up on the spot...and is quite harrowing.

I'm planning on listening to the other albums this morning...they had a flair for song titles: "Death May Be Your Santa Claus" and "Wheel Of The Quivering Meat Conception" are quite memorable!

Bowie showed up for album #5, got them signed to a different label, changed their image and wrote "All The Young Dudes" for them. Then when that album outsold his own current release...he had them dropped. LOL. Ralphs jumped ship for Bad Company soon after.

Edited by Shawn

I'm planning on listening to the other albums this morning...they had a flair for song titles: "Death May Be Your Santa Claus" and "Wheel Of The Quivering Meat Conception" are quite memorable!

Isn't that title lifted from some Beat poetry? Keroac maybe?

Isn't that title lifted from some Beat poetry? Keroac maybe?

99% that it's kerouac, and can vaguely hear him say that on one of the kerouc cds i had from the public library as a kid...

edit: indeed it's on the kerouac/steve allen cd... almost bought that one yesterday, actually

Edited by Niko

I am just now discovering Steve Coleman. I forget most of what I read about his earlier music but I recall something about a unified sound with math and mystic elements. I think I was turned off by what I felt was a hokey hook that had little to do with jazz. I still think that way.

I've been listening to On the Rising of the 64 Paths and am thoroughly enjoying this music. It sounds to me that Greg Osby was influenced by Steve Coleman to a large degree. Anyways, I'm going to keep looking for more of Mr. Colemans music to add to my collection.

Wynton Kelly - re-discovering, or rather, discovering him as a trio pianist/leader as opposed to all the sideman sessions... been playing the Vee Jay sets (both of them) and have arrived at the trio dates now. Very infectuous music, wonderfully fresh, with a clear touch and an ability to play lyrical yet rhythmically propulsive, as well as an ability to play very fast yet let each note ring...

An allusion to Steve Kuhn is made, who's supposed to be the last of the guys who has that latest ability... I always considered him being on a constant search for beauty, maybe that's the same thing... Kuhn was someone I was just discovering a few months ago, coincidentally, and with his music was really a "discovery" for me!

Adding Charnett Moffett to my newly discovered list. I'm blown away by how good he is. Need recommendations.

For the Love of Peace is a fabulous recording. His new one, the Art of Improvisation is another good one.

One of my favorite groups, having gotten to see them live several times at the Caravan of Dreams, was the Moffett Family Jazz Band--and their recordings on Venus, Magic of Love (especially this one) and Africano, are worth seeking out.