Who are you just discovering?

Hardbopjazz

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ray Charles. Yeah I've listen to him for years, but it seemed like background music until now.

Just gave a listen to these two CDs. "Genius + Soul = Jazz" and "Modern Sounds in Country and Western Music vol 1" and I am blown away by both of these sessions. I need to get a copy of "Modern Sounds in Country and Western Music Vol 2" next

This can be gotten rather inexpensively used, Ray Charles & Milt Jackson, "Soul Brothers/Soul Meeting" (Atlantic):

418QM6VA8AL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Ray Charles. Yeah I've listen to him for years, but it seemed like background music until now.

Just gave a listen to these two CDs. "Genius + Soul = Jazz" and "Modern Sounds in Country and Western Music vol 1" and I am blown away by both of these sessions. I need to get a copy of "Modern Sounds in Country and Western Music Vol 2" next

This can be gotten rather inexpensively used, Ray Charles & Milt Jackson, "Soul Brothers/Soul Meeting" (Atlantic):

Thanks for the suggestion. I will look for this one.

"He" is a troll who stalks the real Bruno Leicht (a German trumpeter) online.

Troll/stalker

Click on our troll's profile to see the charming picture he has up as an avatar.

They can still get in even with the new question new members need to ask. I guess it stops the bots but not the actual people who are spammers.

this story apparently made national tv overhere (rare thing for anything jazz related, a documentary about stalkers on the web; the guy who comes in around 1:30 is a private detective; the thing started as a conflict on a jazz message board...)

http://brunoleicht.blogspot.com/2009/05/br...spiegel-tv.html

(so i guess the attacker knows his jazz well enough to get in)

I think the moderators have taken care of him--the posts are gone and his account seems to be deleted as well. Crazy that the whole "Bruno Leicht" saga has gotten bad enough to be included in a German TV documentary.

Apologies for derailing the thread a bit; I've just seen the havoc this poster has caused at other jazz sites and didn't want him doing the same here.

Edited by The Red Menace

I want to thank you for this recommendation as well. I listened to the samples and knew almost immediately I wanted to pick this one up. I didn't realize it was a 2-CD set and found a nice deal on a used copy. In addition to this, I picked up Charles' 2-CD "Blues + Jazz" (w/Count Basie Orchestra) so I can have a little Ray Charles fest in the near future. :tup :tup

I want to thank you for this recommendation as well. I listened to the samples and knew almost immediately I wanted to pick this one up. I didn't realize it was a 2-CD set and found a nice deal on a used copy. In addition to this, I picked up Charles' 2-CD "Blues + Jazz" (w/Count Basie Orchestra) so I can have a little Ray Charles fest in the near future. :tup :tup

Regarding Ray Charles: Does anyone of you know / have his collaboration with Jack Sheldon? I've seen that one on LP but didn't buy it. :(

Oh, I see it's not with Ray himself, it's a musical portrait with Ray's liners: http://991.com/Buy/ProductInformation.aspx...ckNumber=455780

Jack-Sheldon-A-Jazz-Profile-Of-455780.jpg

Anyway, they had recorded together because that's not the cover I remember.

I just got an email from Bruno and he implied that he did not make the post about Clifford Brown. Bruno does have a fine sense of humor so I was not surprised except I've never known him to be sarcastic. He is very up-beat.

However I do think the Miles Cosnat bit is funny :-)

"The Jazz Brothers, Hey Baby!, Spring Fever and Recuerdo are all good listens and I especially enjoy those that feature Sal Nistico."

Ditto to that! I had two of the Mangione Brothers Riverside LPs in the early sixties and played them often. I talked to Sal once in 1983 about them and his work with Herman. I told him how much I was impressed with his articulation, his tonguing. He said, "Yeah...I don't do that anymore". (or something like that) I took it to mean that he could do it when he was young. Nice fellow, great player!

I just got an email from Bruno and he implied that he did not make the post about Clifford Brown. Bruno does have a fine sense of humor so I was not surprised except I've never known him to be sarcastic. He is very up-beat.

finally figured out that clarinetist oliver leicht and trumpeter bruno leicht aren't the same persons... (always thought i'd misremembered the instrument when reading about either of them...)

so let me say once more that sean levitt - best remembered for the esp album he participated in at age 13 - is a real fine post bop guitar player, late in his life (he died in 2002 at age 48 or so) he recorded five albums in france and spain, four are on lastfm, one's on deezer, will order them soon... (also on emusic...)

and there's a myspace sean levitt tribute page with some sound samples

http://www.myspace.com/seanlevitt

and a google search for "clifford brown" "sean levitt" leads to the fine 24 year old guitar player attila muehl, say about 24 year old boppers what you want... he has soul imho ;) , worth checking out...

http://www.myspace.com/attilamuehl

an albums worth of organ trio featuring muehl is here

http://www.myspace.com/maxblumentrath

son of this guy (there's a great tradition of sons of artists becoming guitar players...?)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otto_Muehl

edit to add, here you can play (i believe) the one album levitt issued during his lifetime (rest is posthumous)

http://www-v3.deezer.com/de/#music/sean-le...n-levitt-140009

Edited by Niko

Bill Black, a singer who made one solo CD with guitar, mostly ballads, after going out with, I think, Krupa. He had a deep hurt and great voice. It's very expensive, an import.

Also, forgive a plug of local musicians/friends, but Michael Howell on guitar has been kicking ass lately when I hear him.