Who are you just discovering?

Hardbopjazz

Red Garland's 50s/60s things on Fantasy; and a number of things in the same sort of area by the likes of Gene Ammons and Teddy Edwards. Also a bit of a Sonny Stitt/Sonny Criss spate taking me well beyond the few recordings I own.

I appear to have the blues.

The Red Garland albums were some of the first piano trio albums I heard and are still favorites to this day. There was a magic groove to Red's playing, he was hip in all kinds of ways.

All Kinds Of Weather and A Garland Of Red are two near the top of the list, but they are pretty much all equally excellent.

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Red Garland albums were some of the first piano trio albums I heard and are still favorites to this day. There was a magic groove to Red's playing, he was hip in all kinds of ways.

All Kinds Of Weather and A Garland Of Red are two near the top of the list, but they are pretty much all equally excellent.

I've only really known him as a sideman - obviously the mid-50s Miles/Coltrane records primarily.

I'm finding these leader recordings pure pleasure - will probably sweep e-music clear in the next few months as my credits restore.

Edited by Bev Stapleton

Two other pianists I've really been enjoying of late - Horace Silver and Sonny Clark. In both cases I've had a couple of discs (plus sideman appearances) but they never hit home until recently.

Love it when performers sit simmering in your collection almost unnoticed and then suddenly the flavours just explode.

Just come across the Contact Trio's album Double Face. Recorded 1974 (?), released on Calig. Very interesting guitar, bass and vibes/marimba free/improv

Now keen to hear their other two releases on JAPO. Initial research suggests I may be waiting some time to find them

Ruby Braff. I would characterize my jazz listening tastes as "bop and beyond". However, while going through my pre-bop LPs recently, I discovered this gem of a record which since has been re-issued on CD. What a beautiful sound this man had!

51wpDX1lpaL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

His releases on Concord are also worthy.

Blue Oyster Cult - and no, I don't feel the slightest bit guilty about it.

Do you find, on the whole, any issues with the percussion in this group?

Based on the live album "On Your Feet" and the song Buck's Boogie, I would say the rhythm section was quite adept. It's basically just rock n roll cranked up and played with tongue in cheek bravado.

Blue Oyster Cult - and no, I don't feel the slightest bit guilty about it.

Do you find, on the whole, any issues with the percussion in this group?

Based on the live album "On Your Feet" and the song Buck's Boogie, I would say the rhythm section was quite adept. It's basically just rock n roll cranked up and played with tongue in cheek bravado.

So you don't a paucity of a particular percussive implement of a bovine nature?

Guest Bill Barton

Ruby Braff. I would characterize my jazz listening tastes as "bop and beyond". However, while going through my pre-bop LPs recently, I discovered this gem of a record which since has been re-issued on CD. What a beautiful sound this man had!

Another one worth seeking out is Ruby Braff with The Ed Bickert Trio on Sackville. Not easily found these days by the looks, but what a gem!

His releases on Concord are also worthy.

Same goes for his Arbors discs.

As a matter of fact, it's all good with Ruby Braff. I have yet to hear an album of his that fails to impress!

Just love his playing!

elvis69-6.jpg

Amazing!

Got a couple of dozen discs in the past several weeks and I´m having a hard time understanding why I missed out on him for so long!

Favorites so far are the "From Elvis In Memphis" Legacy 2CD set, "Elvis Country", and of course the early RCA Sessions from 1956 ("Elvis Presley" and "Elvis"), as well as "Elvis Is Back"... and the first disc (1969) from the "Live in Las Vegas" 4CD set... still waiting for some more to arrive, and some unheard stuff on the pile (including the Legacy Edition 2CD of "On Stage" and the 3CD edition of "Thatßs The Way It Was").

Not sure of the best available version but the Sun recordings are dandy.

That they are. The best version I've heard is a European RCA LP collection mastered by the late Bob Jones - The Elvis Presley Sun Collection. Blows away the RCA CD collections I've heard. Probably be hard to come by these days. If you find one, snap it up.

On the other hand, the music should be heard even if the sound isn't the best. So go for it in whatever form you can find it.

Edited by paul secor

Apparently Vic Anesi has redone the entire official catalog of Elvis in DSD and the discs I've heard (the Gospel box set, the Memphis one that Flurin mentions and the Comeback Special box) are fantastic sounding. Rumor is that there will be a huge box of all the masters this year (I'm not in the market for that).

I have the "Sunrise" 2CD set coming my way!

Coincindentally, I also recently dug deeper into Johnny Cash´s oeuvre, exploring his Sun sessions, too (there´s a nice Charly 3CD set... a boot, sure, but it has all the music including different versions with and without overdubs etc). Must have been quite exciting to be around the Sun studios in 1954-56!

Levon Helm about seing Elvis in 1954 (source):

In 1954, Levon was fourteen years old when he saw Johnny Cash and Carl Perkins do a show at Helena. Also performing was a young Elvis Presley with Scotty Moore on guitar, and Bill Black on stand-up bass. They did not have a drummer. The music was early jazz-fueled rockabilly, and the audience went wild. In ’55 he saw Elvis once more, before Presley’s star exploded. This time Presley had D.J. Fontana with him on drums and Bill Black was playing electric bass. Helm couldn’t get over the difference and thought it was the best band he’d seen. The added instruments gave the music solidity and depth. People jumped out of their seats dancing to the thunderous, heart-pumping, rhythms. The melting pot that was the Mississippi Delta had boiled over and evolved. It’s magnificently rich blues was uniting with all the powerful, new, spicy-hot sounds and textures that became rock and roll.

Apparently Vic Anesi has redone the entire official catalog of Elvis in DSD and the discs I've heard (the Gospel box set, the Memphis one that Flurin mentions and the Comeback Special box) are fantastic sounding. Rumor is that there will be a huge box of all the masters this year (I'm not in the market for that).

One of those original album boxes with all of Elvis´ RCA albums? Would contain too much movie crap, I guess...

Indeed, both 2CD Legacy Editions of "From Elvis in Memphis" (also containing "Back in Memphis", which was the studio portion of the double album "From Memphis to Vegas/From Vegas to Memphis") and "On Stage" (also containing the live portion of the same double album) were remastered by Vic Anesini. No DSD logos on those CDs though (not that I´d care too much... both sets sound fantastic to my low-fi ears).

Just finished playing that "On Stage" 2CD set and it´s terrific!

Edit: the older sets ("Live in Las Vegas" from 2001 and "That´s The Way It Is (Special Edition)" from 2000) were done by Dennis Ferrante - and they sound good, too, from what I can tell so far!

I have the 50s box on its way... but the 60s and 70s boxes I guess Ißll rather skip... (there´s also a second 60s volume, just two discs, covering some of the better film stuff, I understand?)

Edited by king ubu

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...