Who are you just discovering?

Hardbopjazz

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Eric Vloiemans, a Dutch trumpet player. I heard a CD of a live set from Yoshi's in Oakland, titled 'Fugimundi'. He's not a 'new fogey' in the Marsalis or Payton mould but has chops and plays mostly his own stuff. i picked up 5 of his CD's for next to nothing at Ochanomizu Disk Union here in Tokyo. Will be doing some serious listening over the weekend. Anyone else have an opinion on him?

Stella Levitt.

wife of drummer Al Levitt.

Mother of guitarist Sean Levitt.

Her albums (who go for around 100$ on (and if!) on ebay, or from an understated beauty.

I think she's wonderful...

j.

discovered the family (especially the four albums bei sean) about a year ago... still missing stella's own albums ... also think she's wonderful

These last few months, Jascha Heifetz. Early in the year I purchased the Complete Original Jacket Collection and I got around to going through the whole set in the last few months. Wow. What a virtuoso! I don't always love all the material, but his artistry is astonishing on each recording.

51kJs57xzlL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

@Niko - about Stella Levitt

does she sing on one/some of his albums?

There's a duo version of 'When Sunny Gets Blue' on youtube...

Haven't found any album from Sean though...

Are the family albums good? Jazz? Issued on cd?

Stella can also be heard on an album recorded in Belgium, but haven't found that one yet...

Proud to say that soon I'll have her 2nd album...not cheap, but at a fair price (not the 100$ other sellers were asking for it...)

j.

@Niko - about Stella Levitt

does she sing on one/some of his albums?

There's a duo version of 'When Sunny Gets Blue' on youtube...

Haven't found any album from Sean though...

Are the family albums good? Jazz? Issued on cd?

Stella can also be heard on an album recorded in Belgium, but haven't found that one yet...

Proud to say that soon I'll have her 2nd album...not cheap, but at a fair price (not the 100$ other sellers were asking for it...)

j.

there's the family album on ESP-Disk which is in the first place weird but it's easy to get on cd and has its moments... then there are four cds by sean, an album called "sean levitt quartet" which was released and recorded in the nineties with a spanish rhythm section and a four cd box from shortly after his death which contains this album and three more which were previously unreleased, (1) a collection of trio recordings from the 80s with ze eduardo and jorge rossy among others (2) a trio with John Betsch and Gilles Naturel from 2002 (3) a co-led album by sean and stella with Naturel/Betsch plus Alain Jean Marie also from 2002 (this is where the version of When Sunny Gets Blue comes from)

the two items are listed here as #9 and #32 (and as i said, 9 is contained in 32)

http://www.tallerdemusics.com/management-y-producciones/sello-discografico/

but the site where i ordered them does not seem to exist anymore... i think this is an excellent box well worth seeking out... otherwise, (legal) mp3s are fairly easy to find (for instance, if www.deezer.com still works in belgium you can listen to them there)

Eric Vloiemans, a Dutch trumpet player. I heard a CD of a live set from Yoshi's in Oakland, titled 'Fugimundi'. He's not a 'new fogey' in the Marsalis or Payton mould but has chops and plays mostly his own stuff. i picked up 5 of his CD's for next to nothing at Ochanomizu Disk Union here in Tokyo. Will be doing some serious listening over the weekend. Anyone else have an opinion on him?

Yeah, he's a good, lyrical player. Played a nice set at the Bath International Festival a few years ago which I managed to see.

• 5 months later...

Hank Crawford -- what took me so long, this guy is great! Love his sound, his approach to music, how I ever feel asleep on Crawford, I'll never know.

When I first came to the music, the only Crawford to be heard - in a "general" sense - was the Kudu stuff, which did not exactly stir the imagination, if you know what I mean. But the years passed, I found out about the Ray Charles stint and the Atlantic dates, he started recording for Milestone, etc. Plus I caught him live at Cleveland Eaton's club in Birmingham, Alabama, 1980, playing nothing but bebop and playing it very well.

What really started me turning the corner though was this one, which an alto player buddy of mine hipped me to one day. "Just listen to his tone and his phrasing, how much control he's got. Never mind anything else, just listen to that." We were both stoned at the time, and his advice worked really well. But I came back the next day and...yeah, I started thinking differently about Hank Crawford from then on out.

Had just discovered the fantastic drummer Eric Harland. Then while being dazzled by Erena Terakuba, I discover her drummer Lee Pearson, equally as impressive as Harland. Check him out on youtube testing a new set of drums for the manufacturer.Stephen Riley has a unique sound, reminds me of Charlie Rouse, lets see if he can sustain it. But thanks to jhoots, for me, the discoverey of the year so far is Erena Terakuba. She is a barely 20yr old phenominal alto sax player. When you hear New York Attitude and Northbird, you'll know what I'm talking about...........

Edited by mrjazzman

When I say recent I'm talking in the last year or two it would be the artistry of Sonny Criss. I had Portrait of Sonny Criss on a Japanese cd for about ten years and liked it but I found Sonny's Imperial recordings on a jazz blog a few years ago and was knocked out by the music. After that I was on the hunt for Sonny's music and I was luck enough to get all of Imperial recordings on vinyl through the Classic Records reissues. Then I found I'll Catch The Sun on lp in Berkeley and recently Crisscraft on Muse. I'm now willing to buy every Sonny Criss album I can find. A lot of times musicians who play fast will bore me after a while because they aren't saying anything other than speed. Sonny Criss is really saying something melodically on top of being able to play at an amazing clip.

On the non-jazz side of the world it's been the band Talk Talk, specifically the last three albums and Mark Hollis' single solo album. They are amazing collections of music that I've played over and over in the last four or five months. I had bought their first album and liked it well enough back in the 80s but never kept up with them afterwards. Big mistake.

I saw Eric Harland earlier this year and agree, he's an amazing drummer and he's even more amazing in person compared to the recordings.

Edited by six string

When I say recent I'm talking in the last year or two it would be the artistry of Sonny Criss. I had Portrait of Sonny Criss on a Japanese cd for about ten years and liked it but I found Sonny's Imperial recordings on a jazz blog a few years ago and was knocked out by the music. After that I was on the hunt for Sonny's music and I was luck enough to get all of Imperial recordings on vinyl through the Classic Records reissues. Then I found I'll Catch The Sun on lp in Berkeley and recently Crisscraft on Muse. I'm now willing to buy every Sonny Criss album I can find. A lot of times musicians who play fast will bore me after a while because they aren't saying anything other than speed. Sonny Criss is really saying something melodically on top of being able to play at an amazing clip.

On the non-jazz side of the world it's been the band Talk Talk, specifically the last three albums and Mark Hollis' single solo album. They are amazing collections of music that I've played over and over in the last four or five months. I had bought their first album and liked it well enough back in the 80s but never kept up with them afterwards. Big mistake.

I saw Eric Harland earlier this year and agree, he's an amazing drummer and he's even more amazing in person compared to the recordings.

Indeed, and his sound is so huge! SO many sax players (including Bird) sacrifice sound for speed. There was never any issue for Sonny, it seems - a sound as big as Jug's or Grant Green's - the speed of a Sonny Stitt - and the funkiness of no one else.

MG

Indeed, and his sound is so huge! SO many sax players (including Bird) sacrifice sound for speed. There was never any issue for Sonny, it seems - a sound as big as Jug's or Grant Green's - the speed of a Sonny Stitt - and the funkiness of no one else.

MG

So true! I never play his music casually in the house. I have to be ready to listen when I play a Sonny Criss record. His playing demands it.

• 2 years later...

Hardbopjazz's OP said, "Any artist or artists that you just been floored by recently that you [k]new of but never really gave that extra effort listening to."

Recently, for me, that has been Dave Rempis. Since he started his own label, and stepped out as a leader, his work has really drawn my attention.