Who are you just discovering?

Hardbopjazz

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For god's sake, don't tell Bev, but I'm listening to Fairport Convention right now for the first time in my life. I don't know if it's the music, or just the way it's matching my mood, but this is good stuff! Listening to the 20th Century Masters disc on Lala; I was hoping it would give me an overview.

The only problem is this weird desire to put on tights and learn to play the lute...

funny i heard "i want to see the bright lights tonight" by richard and linda thompson for the first time two days ago and also definitely want to do some more listening in that direction...

if you have any interest in Richard Thompson(for the life of me it's sometimes hard to understand why he's not a multi-platinum seller :rolleyes: ), I would strongly suggest 'Shoot out the Lights" with Linda, 'Hand of Kindness', "Rumor & Sigh' & 'Mock Tudor'. Among those discs are many gems.

Edited by PHILLYQ

• 2 weeks later...

The Harper Brothers and Winard Harper.

I discovered Winard Harper while listening to jazz on Pandora.com. He's a name I hadn't heard of so I decided to explore a little further. After a little digging I discovered that not only did he record on his own, but he also recorded with his brother as The Harper Brothers. I found 3 of the Harper Brothers discs (Artistry, Remembrance: Live At The Village Vanguard, The Harper Brothers) and 2 of Winard's discs (Be Yourself, Trap Dancer) surprisingly cheap. ($3.00 to $5.50 delivered) I'd have to say that it was a fine investment, I really enjoy them all. I might have to dig a little deeper into Winard Harper's stuff.

most recently, two things:

Discovering and re-discovering Teddy Edwards' fine four albums (rec. 91-94) for Universal France/Gitanes/Polygram/whatever, "Mississippi Lad" (with Art Hillery, Jimmy Cleveland, Leroy Vinnegar, Billy Higgins, Tom Waits and others), "Blue Saxophone" (with strings and brass, and a so-so singer), "La Villa" (a live album, with Christian Escoudé, some strings overdubs, and another so-so singer), and finally "Tango in Harlem", the great trio album with Christian McBride and Billy Higgins. Edwards should be much, much better known!

second was this album - doesn't get much closer to perfection, I think!

41FSS85WYBL._SS500_.jpg

Herb Ellis - Nothin' But the Blues (Verve, with Roy Eldridge and Stan Getz, Ray Brown and Stan Levey).

Herb Ellis - Nothin' But the Blues (Verve, with Roy Eldridge and Stan Getz, Ray Brown and Stan Levey).

I've had my eye on that one for a while. Time to pull the trigger, I guess.

Yeah, it's getting kind of pricey, too... 15$ or so for a used one (plus 9$ for shipping to little ol' Switzerland...)

Fantastic disc, worth every cent!

Love, Gloom, Cash, Love

Bethlehem

I don't think this one has as many fans, but I love it.

What do you mean, by comparison with the Blue Note recordings, or because Nichols in general doesn't have many fans?

I think it's a fine album! Nichols as a whole would have been subject of a post of mine in this thread many years ago, when I discovered him thanks to the BN reissue 3CD set.

Another thing I discovered lately is The Byrds - got all their albums up to "Sweethearts of the Rodeo" and found "Dr. Byrds and Mr. Hyde" in a local sale. Now waiting for "Easy Rider" and "Untitled/Unreleased" to complete my Byrds collection (assuming I can happily live without the last of their albums).

As a result of that, I'll go and check out some Flying Burrito Brothers and Gram Parsons as well (thanks niko for the recs!). Also will dip a bit into Crosby Stills Nash & Young, and eventually Neil Young... (got only very few albums so far, "Stephen Stills", "Harvest", "Zuma", "Crosby Stills & Nash").

Christophe Schweizer would be another trombone player to check out - his album on Omnitone is great.

He was discussed a bit in that "neighbourhood/under-the-radar-talent"-thread a while ago. (Maybe his name is spelled Schweitzer? No, looks wrong... but maybe it's Christoph without an e, too lazy to look it up...)

Ferris is a fine player, I agree! Don't know much besides his work with Texier, but he also did a Don Ellis tribute project with French musicians and played with Jim Pepper. That makes him a very interesting character in my book!

Christophe Schweizer would be another trombone player to check out - his album on Omnitone is great.

He was discussed a bit in that "neighbourhood/under-the-radar-talent"-thread a while ago. (Maybe his name is spelled Schweitzer? No, looks wrong... but maybe it's Christoph without an e, too lazy to look it up...)

Ferris is a fine player, I agree! Don't know much besides his work with Texier, but he also did a Don Ellis tribute project with French musicians and played with Jim Pepper. That makes him a very interesting character in my book!

will check out christophe schweizer... just gave a brief listen to some of nils wogram's organ trio album affinity on deezer, needs to be checked out as well... ferris is one of the selected few who have a eugene chadbourne allmusic entry... long list of credits from frank zappa to philly joe jones...

Edited by Niko

Glenn Ferris - finally a trombone player who sounds just right ( ;) ) so far heard him on Henri Texier's great "An Indian's Week" album and Bex/Ferris/Goubert - Here and Now (organ trio with trombone) but will check out more soon...

Ferris also recorded with Billy Cobham on 'Shabazz'.

He also played on several Don Ellis recordings.

thanks for the richard thompson and glenn ferris recommendations...! i also liked Ferris' recent X Actimo! maybe not quite as beautiful as the texier album but highly enjoyable (on deezer (as are the BFG and the Texier) but i doubt you can play it in the US... but who knows)

Edited by Niko