Who are you just discovering?

Hardbopjazz

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing with improvised music, however, is that I can get a continual rediscovery of music that I thought I was familiar with. I don't get that feeling nearly as much with rock music - once I know it, I usually feel like I know it.

same here. i am continually rediscovering things i already heard in jazz. and it doesn't happen in rock. not rediscovering. sometimes i listen to something again, and think how great it is. but it's not that feeling of discovering it anew.

by the way, i'm just discovering hampton hawes' all night session which i hadn't done before. it was always on my list but i never got around to listen to it. and it's very, very good. with hawes in top form and jim hall...

I'm discovering Jan Garbarek. Heard him in passing but liked soundclips of the new "Dresden" and ordered it. I know a lot of ppl feel his early 70's ECM work is better than his recent stuff. I'll have to track down "Afric Pepperbird" and "SART" at some point.

:tup for Afric Pepperbird. Hopefully you can find a copy at a resonable price.

A couple of pages back Bill Barton mentioned Josh Sinton and a group of his called Ideal Bread. Sinton has another band with a cd called Holus Bolus which I think is really good. Baritone, alto, bass and two drummers.

In a non jazz vein I have just recently been listening to a band that rose from the ashes of Morphine called Twinemen, especially their cd Sideshow.

• 3 weeks later...

they had a flair for song titles: "Death May Be Your Santa Claus"

Originally recorded by Rev J M Gates on 3 Nov 1926 (OkeH 8413)

:D

(well, Gate's record is "Death Might Be Your Santa Claus")

MG

If the Magnificent Goldberg were here he'd refer you to the Rev. J.M. Gates "Death Might Be Your Santa Claus" which might go back to as early as 1926.

Ah....

MG

The Harper Brothers and Winard Harper.

I discovered Winard Harper while listening to jazz on Pandora.com. He's a name I hadn't heard of so I decided to explore a little further. After a little digging I discovered that not only did he record on his own, but he also recorded with his brother as The Harper Brothers. I found 3 of the Harper Brothers discs (Artistry, Remembrance: Live At The Village Vanguard, The Harper Brothers) and 2 of Winard's discs (Be Yourself, Trap Dancer) surprisingly cheap. ($3.00 to $5.50 delivered) I'd have to say that it was a fine investment, I really enjoy them all. I might have to dig a little deeper into Winard Harper's stuff.

I really love Winard Harper's albums on Epicure & Savant. Have them all. Very interesting band, very interesting approach, incorporating some Senegalese ideas (and a Senegalese drummer) into modern hard bop. Only have "Artistry" with his brother (and Houston Person's "Why not" on Muse, which is where I heard them first).

MG

I'm on a Lightnin' Slim kick. Got "Rooster blues" on LP years ago and recently decided to get into the compilations Ace has been issuing over here. Terrific stuff. Not extraordinary, but very down home, very straight blues.

I like those Jay Miller guys - Slim Harpo, Lonesome Sundown, Lightnin' Slim. Going to get into Lazy Lester next.

MG

I'm on a Lightnin' Slim kick. Got "Rooster blues" on LP years ago and recently decided to get into the compilations Ace has been issuing over here. Terrific stuff. Not extraordinary, but very down home, very straight blues.

I like those Jay Miller guys - Slim Harpo, Lonesome Sundown, Lightnin' Slim. Going to get into Lazy Lester next.

MG

MG - You may be interested in looking for the Jay Miller Series LPs that Bruce Bastin released on his Flyright label. They're out of print but might be available used in the UK. Fascinating series with lots of previously unreleased material that never made it to CD later on.

MG

MG - You may be interested in looking for the Jay Miller Series LPs that Bruce Bastin released on his Flyright label. They're out of print but might be available used in the UK. Fascinating series with lots of previously unreleased material that never made it to CD later on.

Yeah, when I lived in Brighton, until '74, Flyright was just down the road in Bexhill. Bruce used to record Brighton jazz musicians I hung out with in those days, and I have quite a few of those - but I couldn't afford any blues in those days. Buying records of your mates is top priority, though, even if they're not brilliant, isn't it? :)

MG

• 5 weeks later...

One of This year's discovers for me may well be Arthur Blythe.

I already long had his Savants Spirit In The Fields and Focus, but somehow never heard those cds close, deep enough. Some months ago I finally did at lenght and was so thrilled and delighted by that alto/tuba/drums vibe I started to look for his earlier recordings. In The Tradition and Bush Baby had to be found somewhere in the internet, sadly no cd available ever to buy. Lenox Avenue is an awesome record, but Illusions thrilled me even more. Blythe's two recorings in trio with cellist David Eyges (Synergy and Ace) reminded me somehow of an american Trio Clusone - a trio I already I love, but a totally different one. Eyges and Blythe's duos are elegant and original. I've been less surprised by Blythe's collaborations in JB Ulmer's Music Revelation Ens. and in Roots group, where he sticks to his bebop/hard bop mastery maybe forgetting some of his originality. Blythe contribution in James Newton's cd The African Flower is again wonderful (well, he's given a kind of Hodges' pace here. Significant enough to me.). I still have to listen to the Gil Evans Orchestra cds with him. The Columbia Studio Recordings of Arthur Blythe would be a wonderful Mosaic. Wouldn't it? Anybody listening?

One more year's best has been Gerry Hemingway. Following his contributions in classic Braxton's performances on Hat and more recently in Lisa Sokolov records, I had one by one all Hemingway's HatArt and '90s quintet recordings with Reijseger, Moore, Weirbos. Another serie of masterpieces I long overlooked back then, strong and thoughtful music where extended improvisation often appear hard to distinguish from the written sections. All the performances, to me particoulary Slamadam and Marmalade King are really some of the finest jazz music I know from the '90s.

A Blythe Columbia might indeed be nice!

I'm not entirely convinced by his music, but there's always something of interest going on, to say the least. The trio with Stewart/Thigpen was great! I have some of these Savant discs (also Exhale) and some earlier stuff (an Enja with John Hicks that's not that exciting), and I've heard Lenox Avenue as well, but never heard anything with Eyges (Byard Lancaster worked with Eyges as well... those would be some nice Selects, one by Lancaster, one by Blythe, add one by Oliver Lake... I'm sure there'd be plenty of good stuff around, loft jazz scene, some major albums they were able to make in between, etc.

--------------------------

Latest discovery here: John Mayall.

In the latest update of an ongoing Universal sale, most of Mayall's Decca discs popped up, and I got curious. I knew "Laurel Canyon" and "The Turning Point" from my dad's collection. Got those (Turning Point is post-Decca, just in case), as well as the albums with Clapton, Peter Green, the BBC Session, Crusade and Bare Wires (with Mick Taylor). Plenty of good music there! And some of Mayall's organ playing is mighty fine!

A Blythe Columbia might indeed be nice!

I'm not entirely convinced by his music, but there's always something of interest going on, to say the least. The trio with Stewart/Thigpen was great! I have some of these Savant discs (also Exhale) and some earlier stuff (an Enja with John Hicks that's not that exciting), and I've heard Lenox Avenue as well, but never heard anything with Eyges (Byard Lancaster worked with Eyges as well... those would be some nice Selects, one by Lancaster, one by Blythe, add one by Oliver Lake... I'm sure there'd be plenty of good stuff around, loft jazz scene, some major albums they were able to make in between, etc.

--------------------------

Latest discovery here: John Mayall.

In the latest update of an ongoing Universal sale, most of Mayall's Decca discs popped up, and I got curious. I knew "Laurel Canyon" and "The Turning Point" from my dad's collection. Got those (Turning Point is post-Decca, just in case), as well as the albums with Clapton, Peter Green, the BBC Session, Crusade and Bare Wires (with Mick Taylor). Plenty of good music there! And some of Mayall's organ playing is mighty fine!

Mick Taylor's recorded output is surprisingly meager--he only has two studio recordings as a leader--the second one, A Stone's Throw, is highly recommended. A live date, Coastin' Home, has some pretty dynamic playing on it. A more obscure date which is outside the usual blues/rock style, is quite good--Miyuki, Mick and I. With the Bluesbreakers, there's also Diary of a Band--live recordings with somewhat primitive sound, but pretty good.

Mick Taylor's recorded output is surprisingly meager--he only has two studio recordings as a leader--the second one, A Stone's Throw, is highly recommended. A live date, Coastin' Home, has some pretty dynamic playing on it. A more obscure date which is outside the usual blues/rock style, is quite good--Miyuki, Mick and I. With the Bluesbreakers, there's also Diary of a Band--live recordings with somewhat primitive sound, but pretty good.

I recall seeing him c. 1975 with Carla Bley and Jack Bruce in a band that lasted a very short time.