Browsing at Organissimo

Jim R

This may have been discussed before, but I'm just curious how most of you go about using the board. I thought about making a poll out of this, but I'd rather focus on the "why" rather than the "what".

I prefer using "Today's Active Topics", which serves as my log-on page, and a constant "base" between opening various threads and posting. Unlike some other sites, it's very easy here to return to T.A.T., thanks to the link being provided all over the place. I have it set so that topics from the current day as well as the previous day are accessible. This usually gives me quick access to about 4 pages (which I have set up to include 40 threads each) of recently active topics. I used the same basic procedure at the BNBB, except for the early years. Before I started using T.A.T., I always found it tricky to remember where (and when) I had posted, and would sometimes lose track of discussions I wanted to follow.

So, what's your routine?

Wow. I don't use any of that stuff. I just go to the main board index, look for the "active forum" indication, and work my way either up or down the list. (If I'm in a good mood, I work my way up, from the Politics; if I'm the least bit cranky, I've learned to work my way down to Politics so I'm in a good mood by then! :lol: ) In each forum, I go to the lowest thread with new posts, and work my way up.

Then on days off like today, I start all over again... :wacko:

View New Posts.

My home page is the Forum main page, and from there I click new posts which brings up everything since I last logged in. Then I keep refreshing that as I am generally here most of the work day. If there's something I want to return to that doesn't come up in the New Posts, then I go to Today's Topics from the My Assistant link.

And speaking of New Posts, something odd seems to happen. Sometimes it keeps listing the threads which I have already updated on, and other times, ONLY the new threads show up. Must be something to do with my cookies, but heck if I know.

Wow. I don't use any of that stuff. I just go to the main board index, look for the "active forum" indication, and work my way either up or down the list. (If I'm in a good mood, I work my way up, from the Politics; if I'm the least bit cranky, I've learned to work my way down to Politics so I'm in a good mood by then! :lol: ) In each forum, I go to the lowest thread with new posts, and work my way up.

I do it the Moose way, only I might skip politics altogether.

Been posting a bit over there lately however. Hmm, I'll have to curb that before it becomes a habit!

I've only "Viewed New Posts" once! -- too much pre-reading, and not organized by category! I just go to the Forum Main Page and click "last post" on the color-flagged categories. When I've read that "last post", I hit "go to" that category and glance at what's color-coded new there. Work my way through the categories. I'd rather take my cues from the little envelopes and circles than have to read the "new posts" list. Similar to the fact that I only ever have "analog" (face & hands) clocks and watches, NEVER digital.

Edited by maren

I use the "Jazzmoose" method myself. It's interesting to be surprised by new topics when I go through the different forums.

"Today's Active Topics" all the way, for me. That way if I see a topic that hasn't had a new post, but is one I looked at previously - I'm sometimes reminded to check the thread again, especially if it's one I had thought about posting in earlier, but didn't at the time.

Often I wish every board had a "Today's Active Topics" button to push. AAJ, for instance, only has "View New Posts" - which means any thread without a post that's new to me (based on my cookies), never gets displayed more than once in the list of topics that I'm browsing.

I think using "Today's Active Topics" (and having that as an option) increased the chances of people posting in threads they already looked at before, but didn't post in at the time they were first looking at them.

For instance, there's a "Kansas City" board I'm on, and I rarely post in any topic that doesn't come up in my "View New Posts" results. And as a result, if I don't post in a topic when I first look at it, I never see it again until somebody else posts in it.

(I rarely go browsing through the forums.)

Often I wish every board had a "Today's Active Topics" button to push.  AAJ, for instance, only has "View New Posts" - which means any thread without a post that's new to me (based on my cookies), never gets displayed more than once in the list of topics that I'm browsing.

Bookmark this link. The "View today's active topics" function is available on the AAJ board, but the link is only displayed when you are logged off. However it also works when you are logged in.

Edited by Claude

Bookmark this link. The "View today's active topics" function is available on the AAJ board, but the link is only displayed when you are logged off. However it also works when you are logged in.

Oh yeah, that's right. After I clear my cashe (which I do about once a week), I have noticed that AAJ does give me a "today's topics" link.

I also browse the board in this fashion.

I prefer the Moose way. I like to start at the top and work my way down. I don't really use new posts because I like to look at the topics. Just because it's new doesn't mean I necessarily want to post. Sometimes in the middle of a session, I'll scroll down to look at what member are looking at what, just out of curiosity.