Miles Davis "Basin Street Blues"

Shrdlu

Just a quick comment, to recommend a really tasty track.

Miles's 1963-64 music is often overlooked because of all the interest in his groups with Trane, Shorter and so on. But I recently got the newish Columbia box set that covers 1963-64, and "Basin Street Blues" really stands out as a classic. (I had it on LP years ago, but it had become forgotten.)

It's the quartet with Vic Feldman, Ron Carter and Frank Butler. What a superb, very laid back performance! Highly recommended for a spin on the old phonograph.

Vic was such a fine pianist. It's a shame that he declined the offer of a permanent job with Miles, preferring the security of the L.A. studio scene. No wonder Miles wanted him. (I first heard Vic on the two "Peter Gunn" LPs, where he played vibes and marimba.)

That whole session is nice.

I love Feldman's playing on Shelly Manne's five volume Black Hawk albums. It's a great band but Feldman in particular just takes one perfect solo after another.

Not bad considering he was not even a regular member and was just depping for- if I recall correctly- Russ Freeman.

Edited by Rosco