The King Oliver Thread

jeffcrom

As I was looking "back up" this thread, I enjoyed the Ellington version of "St. James Infirmary," so I went looking for it, and I don't seem to have it! Which "big label" swallowed up the old Perfect label? Have all those by Ellington been issued in one place on cd??

gregmo

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, gmonahan said:

As I was looking "back up" this thread, I enjoyed the Ellington version of "St. James Infirmary," so I went looking for it, and I don't seem to have it! Which "big label" swallowed up the old Perfect label? Have all those by Ellington been issued in one place on cd??

I think it was originally issued on Hit of the Week which I presume just went under and was not bought by anyone. The master take is available on Vol 2 of the Naxos Ellington series. The cd is titled "It Don't Mean a Thing: Classical Recording vol 2 1930-1934."  

15 hours ago, medjuck said:

I think it was originally issued on Hit of the Week which I presume just went under and was not bought by anyone. The master take is available on Vol 2 of the Naxos Ellington series. The cd is titled "It Don't Mean a Thing: Classical Recording vol 2 1930-1934."  

Thanks, medjuck!