"Interlude in Bop: Benny Goodman in the Late 1940s"

I decided to pay tribute to the Goodman centennial this week with a program devoted to his brief foray into bebop (1947-49):

Benny Goodman's Bebop Interlude

Mostly small-group, some big band, lots of Wardell Gray, plus appearances from Stan Hasselgard, Mary Lou Williams, and Fats Navarro.

Broadcasting tonight at 10 p.m. EST on WFIU and tomorrow night at 10 p.m. EST on Blue Lake Public Radio, but it's already archived for online listening.

Edited by ghost of miles

...and Doug Mettome.

Yes, thanks, should have mentioned him as well.

Bill, that Hep CD (BENNY'S BOP) that I used for the show should still be available, if you're interested--it's a good complement to UNDERCURRENT BLUES. I think the Click CD is pretty hard to find these days (at least for a reasonable price).

...and Doug Mettome.

Yes, thanks, should have mentioned him as well.

Bill, that Hep CD (BENNY'S BOP) that I used for the show should still be available, if you're interested--it's a good complement to UNDERCURRENT BLUES. I think the Click CD is pretty hard to find these days (at least for a reasonable price).

Thanks, David.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Of the guys that played with Benny's bop groups, I'd say that Gene Di Novi is the last one still with us. Did stuff with Stan Hasselgard, too...

...and with Lester Young.

DiNovi was the pianist on the 1947 Aladdin date that produced 'East of the Sun', 'Something to Remember You By', etc...

Of the guys that played with Benny's bop groups, I'd say that Gene Di Novi is the last one still with us. Did stuff with Stan Hasselgard, too...

it depends on to what extent you would rate Benny G's larger 1948/49 lineups as "bop" lineups (they do figure on many of the bop-influenced BG reissues), but to the best of my knowledge, guitarist FRANCIS BEECHER also is still around. (He incidentally also was on the April 14, 1949, SEPTET session lineup that also included Wardell Gray, Doug Mettome, Clyde Lombardi etc. so should indeed qualify as part of the "bop GROUP" members).

Many of you will unwittingly will have heard Francis Beecher often through the years: In fact he is FRANNIE Beecher of Bill Haley's Comets (do I hear anybody yell "heresy"? ^_^) fame and appeared on most of his hit records as well as in his movies etc. Only a few years ago he finally retired from the lineup of the revived Comets (that regularly toured all over the world) due to health reasons but AFAIK he is still with us.

it depends on to what extent you would rate Benny G's larger 1948/49 lineups as "bop" lineups (they do figure on many of the bop-influenced BG reissues), but to the best of my knowledge, guitarist FRANCIS BEECHER also is still around. (He incidentally also was on the April 14, 1949, SEPTET session lineup that also included Wardell Gray, Doug Mettome, Clyde Lombardi etc. so should indeed qualify as part of the "bop GROUP" members).

Many of you will unwittingly will have heard Francis Beecher often through the years: In fact he is FRANNIE Beecher of Bill Haley's Comets (do I hear anybody yell "heresy"? ^_^) fame and appeared on most of his hit records as well as in his movies etc. Only a few years ago he finally retired from the lineup of the revived Comets (that regularly toured all over the world) due to health reasons but AFAIK he is still with us.

wow, that´s interesting! thanks for that info, i didn´t realize the fact that haley´s comets have a "connection" to the king of swing.

keep boppin´

marcel

Caught Gene DiNovi live here with Ted Brown a couple of years back. In his 80's, he played Great jazz piano, swinging and creative solowise, and perfect accompaniment for Ted. Feisty guy, too ... remembered the Lester Aladdin "Something to Remember You By" session ('47) as if it was yesterday ...

Q

Caught Gene DiNovi live here with Ted Brown a couple of years back. In his 80's, he played Great jazz piano, swinging and creative solowise, and perfect accompaniment for Ted. Feisty guy, too ... remembered the Lester Aladdin "Something to Remember You By" session ('47) as if it was yesterday ...

Q

Yup, Gene's still in great shape, musically and personally. He has a phenomenal memory, remembering everything it seems. And as active as he wants to be, too.

I had forgotten that Buddy Greco was still with us, too; didn't know at all about Beecher.

My earlier reference to Hasselgard was to note that the Swede worked in the US away from Goodman, and that Gene DiNovi appeared on many of those gigs.

(As an aside, I wonder how many realize that Gene's daughter Denise Di Novi is a major movie producer. http://en.wikipedia..../Denise_Di_Novi).

• 4 years later...