The Nessa Juggernaut rolls on

• Replies 623
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NRG Ensemble arrived this morning. My first exposure to Hal Russell, damn this sounds good , wonder why I've put off exploring his work for long. That may be due to the Penguin guide , which I used to read avidly, being less than 100% enthusiastic. Early days but I hear a lot of what Swedish players such as Paal Nilssen Love, Mattias Stahl etc bring to the table. I expected this music to be hard work but it's pretty accessible if you have a open ear. Generous bonus tracks too and the sound is top notch. Looking forward already to the next instalment. Love this.

NRG Ensemble arrived this morning. My first exposure to Hal Russell, damn this sounds good , wonder why I've put off exploring his work for long. That may be due to the Penguin guide , which I used to read avidly, being less than 100% enthusiastic. Early days but I hear a lot of what Swedish players such as Paal Nilssen Love, Mattias Stahl etc bring to the table. I expected this music to be hard work but it's pretty accessible if you have a open ear. Generous bonus tracks too and the sound is top notch. Looking forward already to the next instalment. Love this.

I'm with you. I loved this recording immediately. Wide-ranging as well. Never feel like they're locked into a certain "sound."

Amusing misprisions # 27,345 - I read the True Blue email as saying "Chuck Nessa, one of the earliest champions of the innovations hampering Chicago’s AACM..." - holding back the arts at every turn, eh?

;)

* i.e. 'happening within'

And not a misprision - 'Vonski Speals' lol rofl lmao

oh and 'Snurdy McGurty' [ok this is getting way boring]

Just got an e-mail from True Blue Music that they're having a Nessa CDs sale.

Yes indeed, and I quickly acted on that message - I've been running way behind the Nessa juggernaut, panting (and drooling), and this gave me a good excuse to catch up!

Picked up BEFORE THERE WAS SOUND, Charles Tyler, Bradford and the Spontaneous Music Ensemble, Eddie Johnson, THE MISSING LINK, Vonski SERENADE AND BLUES...yeah I spent too much but hey, it's only money and think of how much I "saved"... :crazy:

Edited by DrJ

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Reissues of my other two Hal Russell projects are in the works. There are possibly 3 or 4 new projects but I am really wary of investing the time and money right now. Trying to figure out what makes sense in the current environment isn't easy.

Thanks for asking.

Chuck, have you ever considered rereleasing AEC's "Les Stances A Sophie" (Nessa 04) (which you licenced from Pathe/EMI France).

All of the CD reissues so far have been needle drops - I'm sure you have mentioned in the past that you are in possession of tapes (does that include People In Sorrow - I have a late 80's Japanese CD of this)

Too many legal hassles to be worthwhile??