The Nessa Juggernaut rolls on

Official July release will be here (for sale) in a couple of weeks:

ncd-2 Roscoe Mitchell Congliptious. New 24 bit remastering of material from the Art Ensemble 1967/68 box. All takes from the sessions in question.

ncd-17/18 Bobby Bradford with John Stevens and the Spontaneous Music Ensemble. Both lps in a 2 disc package - no extra takes. Includes original notes on the session by Max Harrison and a new note from Bobby Bradford.

The next pair (Sept releases available for order earlier) will be a 2 disc version of Lester Bowie's Numbers 1&2 called All the Numbers. This will include all the versions previously issued in the AE box in new 24 bit remasters. This will be ncd-31/32. At the same time we will reissue (Wadada) Leo Smith's Spirit Catcher with an alternate version of The Burning of Stones - this is the piece for muted trumpet and 3 harps. This will be ncd-19.

email nessarecords@charter.net for catalog and prices.

More than Blue Note is offering. :mellow:

Edited by Chuck Nessa

• Replies 623
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More than Blue Note is offering. :mellow:

And I trust all the names will be spelled correctly. ;)

Looking forward to the Bobby Bradford! :tup

Booby Bradford? :g

Recently saw him live with Frode Gjerstad's Circulasione Totale Orchestra, he turned in some great solos! Will get that and the Wadada (and I guess skip the others as I have the Art Ensemble 5CD set)

Can't wait for these to be out. And hey, 24-bit & original artwork is fine by me (even though I have the box and the LPs).

Yeah, I've been having second thoughts... Chuck, how do the new Bowie/Mitchell/Art Ensemble reissues compare? Much of a difference, or would you say the box is fine enough? (I'm sure it is, actually! But still...)

I'm very glad to see some or all of the Art Ensemble box come out as individual issues. The box was a great thing in its time but also made it harder for the curious to dabble. I certainly don't love everything played on these sessions, and to my mind less is more and first editing thoughts were best. It might also be thought that some of this music is less accomplished than later AEoC offerings, but I don't really agree. To my mind these are ur-texts of musical surrealism, and for that reason more interesting than much of what followed. I felt the box perhaps obscured what was valid in the set by including items such as warm-ups that only had a documentary value. Recasting the set as individual CDs might make clearer to listeners what was first selected for LP release - something that the box set leaflet did not make clear.

I'm very glad to see some or all of the Art Ensemble box come out as individual issues. The box was a great thing in its time but also made it harder for the curious to dabble. I certainly don't love everything played on these sessions, and to my mind less is more and first editing thoughts were best. It might also be thought that some of this music is less accomplished than later AEoC offerings, but I don't really agree. To my mind these are ur-texts of musical surrealism, and for that reason more interesting than much of what followed. I felt the box perhaps obscured what was valid in the set by including items such as warm-ups that only had a documentary value. Recasting the set as individual CDs might make clearer to listeners what was first selected for LP release - something that the box set leaflet did not make clear.

Good point and I agree. However, I understand that the upcoming individual CD issues will include the extra material that was released in the box.

Can't wait for these to be out. And hey, 24-bit & original artwork is fine by me (even though I have the box and the LPs).

Yeah, I've been having second thoughts... Chuck, how do the new Bowie/Mitchell/Art Ensemble reissues compare? Much of a difference, or would you say the box is fine enough? (I'm sure it is, actually! But still...)

I'd be happy to have it in all forms, myself. But then I really like the early AEC period a lot.

Ayers' point about the notes is good, too (though I never really had a problem w/ the original note to my recollection).

No material on the reissues that wasn't in the box.

Eventually all material in the box will be reissued on four single discs and one double. All the material is being remastered - technical advances in the last 16 years made it seem worthwhile. YMMV.

David makes a reasonable point about some of the extra material but one with which I ultimately disagreed.

It is a situation in which I am damned if I do or don't.

I have already had a couple of complaints from customers who purchased the single disc (Japanese) version of Numbers 1&2 and were upset they didn't get all the material from those sessions.

I do think the box as a concept causes one to lose focus on the individual sessions and feel some of the "new" music in the box didn't receive the attention it deserved.

Anyway, I opted for all over less.

No material on the reissues that wasn't in the box.

Eventually all material in the box will be reissued on four single discs and one double. All the material is being remastered - technical advances in the last 16 years made it seem worthwhile. YMMV.

David makes a reasonable point about some of the extra material but one with which I ultimately disagreed.

It is a situation in which I am damned if I do or don't.

I have already had a couple of complaints from customers who purchased the single disc (Japanese) version of Numbers 1&2 and were upset they didn't get all the material from those sessions.

I do think the box as a concept causes one to lose focus on the individual sessions and feel some of the "new" music in the box didn't receive the attention it deserved.

Anyway, I opted for all over less.

Thanks, Chuck.

It's all great music which everyone should own one or more copies of.

Thanks for the explanation, Chuck. What will the track sequence be, first the original album followed by the extra material, or?

ncd-2 Congliptious tray info

Roscoe Mitchell – alto, soprano and bass saxophones, flute, recorder, gong and “little instruments”

Lester Bowie – trumpet, flugelhorn, steer horn, bass whistle, bass drum, siren, gong and “little instruments”

Malachi Favors – bass, electric bass, electric guitar, zither, gong and “little instruments”

Robert Crowder – drums and gong

1 Tutankhamen (bass solo) 6:38

(Favors)

2 TKHKE (alto saxophone solo) 7:32

(Mitchell)

3 Jazz Death? (trumpet solo) 7:20

(Bowie)

4 Carefree - take 3 2:35 *

(Mitchell)

5 Tatas-Matoes 2:17 *

(Bowie)

6 Congliptious / Old 19:30

(Mitchell)

7 Carefree – take 1 3:05 *

8 Carefree – take 2 3:05*

Tracks 1-3 recorded March 4, 1968 at Ter-Mar (Chess) Studios by Stu Black and Ron Malo

Tracks 4-8 recorded March 11, 1968 at Ter-Mar Studios by Stu Black

Production / Chuck Nessa

Photography / Terry Martin

Original cover / Tanenbaum Design

Art Direction & design / Carla Nessa

* These pieces were not included in the original issue and first appeared in the Art Ensemble 1967/68 box set

The lp order was tracks 1,2, 3 & 6.

The Bowie set will be divided by session (a trio disc and a quartet disc) in session order.

Edited by Chuck Nessa

Bradford/Stevens – tray copy nessa ncd-17/18

disc A

1 His Majesty Louis (11:06)

(Bradford)

2 Bridget’s Mother (6:51)

(Bradford/Watts)

3 Room 408 (7:25)

(Bradford)

4 Tolerance / To Bob (18:05)

(Stevens)

disc B

1 Trane Ride / Ornette-ment / Doo Dee (13:27)

(Stevens)

2 Norway (7:08)

(Stevens)

3 Rhythm Piece (17:40)

(Stevens)

4 Fragment (1:56)

(Stevens)

Bobby Bradford – trumpet

Trevor Watts – alto & soprano saxophones

Bob Norden – trombone

Julie Tippetts – voice & guitar

Ron Herman – bass

John Stevens – drums, percussion & voice

Recorded at Polydor Studios, London on July 9, 1971

Engineer – Carlos Olms

Recording produced by Alan Bates

Produced for release by Chuck Nessa

Transfers and mastering – Steve Wagner

Photography – David Redfern

Art direction & design by Carla Nessa

P & C 1974, 1980, 1981 & 2009 Nessa Records

FWIW, the group shifts from trios to quartet, quintet and sextet during the session.