The Nessa Juggernaut rolls on

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 623
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just arrived. Listened to the first three tracks of the Roscoe -- elegant cover design BTW, Carla -- and I was transported as if by a time machine back to 1965 and to how astonishing the sureness, force, and clarity of Roscoe's playing was at age 24 or 25. Listen to the way he edges into his solo on "Outer Space" -- as Terry Martin says in the notes, he "builds meticulously" (my emphasis); this doesn't sound like a young man's music.

BEFORE THERE WAS SOUND has not left the cd player since I received it yesterday afternoon. I'm sure folks will say this in more words, and with better description, but this is my favorite music to come along in a very long time. Thanks for doing this Chuck. Hard to believe this music had been shelved for so long.

I love the album title.

One could be forgiven for thinking that tracks recorded in a radio station and then left unissued for 40 odd years wouldn't be up to much. Perhaps some casual rehearsal piece or historic fluff of little import, but you'd be wrong. Everything about this release is truly magnificent. The WUBC tracks offer a pretty diverse set of sounds which work very well together and sound so mature it's hard believe that these are Roscoe's earliest recordings. This is significant music.

Edited by Clunky