The Nessa Juggernaut rolls on

Got mine yesterday. Only managed to get two tracks in but I can tell I'll be listening to this one a lot. I love Malachai Favors and relish this opportunity to hear him in a straight up small group setting. Alvin Fielder is in great shape too. I'll have to hear more to get a sense of Fred Berry but I like what I've heard so far. Thumbs way way up.

• Replies 623
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Listened again to "Have No Fear" yesterday. IIRC I was in the studio, sitting on the floor with my back to a wall, when it (or some of it) was recorded. Amazing music. As Terry Martin has pointed out elsewhere, listen carefully to Von's second solos -- he literally retains in his memory just about everything he played in his first solo on a given piece and then looks at this material again, spontaneously reshapes it, reflects upon it, sums it all up. Now that I think of it, Roscoe Mitchell does/can do something like that, too. What are the odds?

Alexander Hawkins on the "Have No Fear" rhythm section. :tup I think everyone was on a mission from God that day.

hey Chuck - just listening to Before there Was Sound, and reading the notes - I had no idea Roscoe worked with Eddie Buster out there. I knew both Eddie and Bobbie Buster well, worked with both (Bobby quite frequently). Interesting piece of information,

Edited by AllenLowe

hey Chuck - just listening to Before there Was Sound, and reading the notes - I had no idea Roscoe worked with Eddie Buster out there. I knew both Eddie and Bobbie Buster well, worked with both (Bobby quite frequently). Interesting piece of information,

Chicago is a large metro area and a small town at the same time. Folks know other folks and interact with them. For example, studio guests at our "Congliptious" sessions included Fontella Bass, Sunnyland Slim, Willie Dixon and Ramsey Lewis. :ph34r:

This stuff is complicated and not complicated at the same time.

I concur with everyone that says the Mitchell is a substantial release. I listened to it a few times last week and then followed it by listening to Sound. I have not in the past listened closely to Mitchell outside of the AEC, but this is motivating me to start from the beginning and work my way forward.

I concur with everyone that says the Mitchell is a substantial release. I listened to it a few times last week and then followed it by listening to Sound. I have not in the past listened closely to Mitchell outside of the AEC, but this is motivating me to start from the beginning and work my way forward.

I think you'll find it a rewarding experience.

Mine arrived in UK just 5 days after I ordered it! The Nessa elves are indeed on overtime.

great music. So fresh and incisive. My first real exposure to Fred Berry - need to hear more

Likewise.....mine arrived this morning and it's been on my player all day. Wonderful music and very different from what I had expected. What other treasures have you got hidden in the cupboard, Chuck?

I'll echo what everyone has said about the quick delivery, and about how amazing the previously-unissued early Roscoe Mitchell CD is. But the item from my last order that floored me is Charles Tyler's Saga of the Outlaws - in part because I have been less than totally enthusiastic about Mr. Tyler's work in the past. Saga is by far the best thing I've ever heard from Tyler - thanks for issuing it and reissuing, Chuck.

I'd also like to thank Chuck for doing whatever he dos so that the names of songs and the Album show up on my car radio when I play them. Most majore releases just say "unknown disc" and give the track number.

It is called ISRC Code and is added in the mastering stage. I've been doing it for a few years.

Edited by Chuck Nessa