The Nessa Juggernaut rolls on

• Replies 623
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you, Chuck. Is that one available? 'Maze' sounds like an understatement.

MG

Yes it is available as part of Roscoe's L-R-G / The Maze / S II Examples. It was originally a 2 lp set now fitting on one disc. The music might not be in your "wheel house". L-R-G is 37 minute trio for woodwinds (Roscoe), high brass (Leo Smith) and low brass (George Lewis). The Maze is a 21 minute octet for all kinds of percussion. S II Examples is a 17 minute exploration of multi-phonics on the curved soprano saxophone.

MG

Yes it is available as part of Roscoe's L-R-G / The Maze / S II Examples. It was originally a 2 lp set now fitting on one disc. The music might not be in your "wheel house". L-R-G is 37 minute trio for woodwinds (Roscoe), high brass (Leo Smith) and low brass (George Lewis). The Maze is a 21 minute octet for all kinds of percussion. S II Examples is a 17 minute exploration of multi-phonics on the curved soprano saxophone.

I like the Roscoe, but I have to play it when my wife's not home.

I'm in for the Sullivan. Not sure about the Russell / Tyler for the 2 bonus tracks. I have the Chief issue too.

MG

Seems like this one is right up my alley!

MG

Yes it is available as part of Roscoe's L-R-G / The Maze / S II Examples. It was originally a 2 lp set now fitting on one disc. The music might not be in your "wheel house". L-R-G is 37 minute trio for woodwinds (Roscoe), high brass (Leo Smith) and low brass (George Lewis). The Maze is a 21 minute octet for all kinds of percussion. S II Examples is a 17 minute exploration of multi-phonics on the

Seems like this one is right up my alley!

There is nothing even remotely like this album in my collection which is also true for Chuck's other Roscoe Mitchell's, Leo Smith, Hal Russell, and Fred Anderson etc.

MG

You're a gent, Chuck. Thanks.

MG

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

And your Sullivan is a first issue, right? I know most of your LPs but don't remember a Sullivan....

Not a first issue but a reissue of one of my recordings issued on the Flying Fish label (my distributor at the time).

Here are the details:

Ira Sullivan – Circumstantial

1 The Girl From Ipanema 7:54

Jobim

2 Monday’s Dance 6:06

Sullivan

3 Circumstantial 9:46

Salz

4 Stranger In Paradise 8:28

Borodin

5 Angel Eyes 8:12

Dennis

6 That’s Earl, Brother 7:32

Gillespie

7 Blues For Johnny Bratton (previously unissued) 9:30

Sullivan

Ira Sullivan – trumpet, flugelhorn, soprano saxophone & flute

Simon Salz – guitar

Jodie Christian – piano & electric piano (2 & 7)

Dan Shapera – bass

Wilbur Campbell – drums

Recorded October 11 & 20, 1977

Streeterville Studios, Chicago

Engineer: Mark Rubenstein

Transfers & mixing: Glenn Brown

with an assist from Jim Alfredson

Mastering: Steve Wagner

Photography: Terry Martin

Art direction & design: Carla Nessa

Produced by Chuck Nessa

P C 1978 & 2014 nessa records