Chuck Nessa

The Nessa Juggernaut rolls on

625 posts in this topic

Fish don't fly as easily as they once did. Something to do with air density or some such, I don't know, I'm not an icthyophericist.

Just waiting on the liner notes for the Sullivan. All else is ready.

Aha! So when we see who wrote the liner notes, we'll know who the procrastinator is! :)

Possibly not. I will probably go for "plan B".

I apologize if this has been discussed before but how did Jim A assist with the transfers and mixing? Also will the Hal Russell be coming out soon? (Though I don't know how you can get these projects done on time with the winter we've had this year.)

Jim and some of his equipment helped making the original transfers from the two inch, sixteen track tapes.

The Russell will be released at the same time.

It should look something like this:

14493_673339289397301_1548364800_n.jpg

Some wikipedia links:

NRG Ensemble debut album (where are the Sound Solid Studios?):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NRG_Ensemble_(album)

Fred Anderson The Missing Link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Missing_Link_(Fred_Anderson_album)

Roscoe Mitchell L-R-G / The Maze / S II Examples:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L-R-G_/_The_Maze_/_S_II_Examples

Edited by cayetano

This is the cover of the upcoming Hal Russell NRG Ensemble + Charles Tyler disc. This issue contains the balance of the "audition tape" included on our last NRG issue.

10153946_696699350394628_369149747743492

It has been remastered in 24 bit from original tapes and includes 2 more tracks from the audition tape Hal gave me. YMMV.

Ira Sullivan is currently involved in writing liner notes for our issue of Circumstantial. Really looking forward to his essay!

Edited by Chuck Nessa

Oh ok, cool - looks like I was reading too quickly. Will definitely upgrade!

And I'm looking forward to hearing the Sullivan again - had it on LP (which I'd got sealed) but it had a defect that caused some serious jumps.

Today we sent off the masters for production on Ira Sullivan's "Circumstantial" and the Hal Russell NRG Ensemble + Charles Tyler recordings. The Sullivan disc will include a wonderful 10 minute blues bonus and the Russell has 2 bonus tracks to complete the program started with the previous NRG cd.

For future release we are working on a concert recording of the Bobby Bradford / Frode Gjerstad Quartet
with Ingebrigt Håker Flaten and Frank Rosaly. It sounds wonderful to us! They recorded a few concerts and we have chosen the Baltimore concert for issue.

They all sound great Chuck. If you keep the audience applause from the Baltimore show, I'll have hopes of my applause getting on a Nessa CD :D

Looking forward to both, the Bradford in particular. Hopefully in the next year?

It will be out this Fall. Kevin Whitehead, who was at the concert, is writing the notes.

You will not hear Leeway on this cd.

It will be out this Fall. Kevin Whitehead, who was at the concert, is writing the notes.

:(

:(

It is really amazing - no audience sounds intrude on the music and applause edited out at the end. I almost sounds like a studio recording.

FWIW, I had recordings from Houston, Philly and Baltimore to consider. I think all participants selected Baltimore.

Today we sent off the masters for production on Ira Sullivan's "Circumstantial" and the Hal Russell NRG Ensemble + Charles Tyler recordings. The Sullivan disc will include a wonderful 10 minute blues bonus and the Russell has 2 bonus tracks to complete the program started with the previous NRG cd.

For future release we are working on a concert recording of the Bobby Bradford / Frode Gjerstad Quartet

with Ingebrigt Håker Flaten and Frank Rosaly. It sounds wonderful to us! They recorded a few concerts and we have chosen the Baltimore concert for issue.

Looking forward to all of these!

Dallas didn't make the cut :( But the room was not ideal acoustically, bare concrete floor. I had a nice talk with Mr. Bradford.

Listening to all the recordings, I feel they got tighter as the tour progressed. The selected recording is from 2 gigs after I heard them in Buffalo.

Chuck,

Where did the Bradford/Gjerstad Qt play in Baltimore? Can't believe that show flew under my radar!

3-30-2014 at the Windup Space.

great news Chuck, both reissue and news-wise! :tup

Nice interview. Was it done via email, phone call or in-person?