The Nessa Juggernaut rolls on

• Replies 623
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We now have stock of our August 19 releases. These are our Ira Sullivan sessions and the reissue of Hal Russell's NRG Ensemble + Charles Tyler. The Sullivan has been remixed from the original masters in 24 bit and includes a nice bonus track. The Russell has been remastered in 24 bit and we have added 2 bonus tracks to complete the "audition tape" partially issued on our last NRG release.

Unfortunately we are leaving in the morning for a week with the grand kids in Buffalo. We will be back on June 16, ready to ship any orders in house.

I will have internet access the whole time (except the 4 hours crossing Ontario - each way) so questions are fine.

Looking forward to hearing the Brotzmann, Parker and Drake trio in Buffalo.

Edit for silly commerce reasons: Discs are $15 each in North America, reduced postage elsewhere. PayPal to nessarecords@charter.net and checks / cash to PO Box 394, Whitehall, MI 49461. Don't expect the correct info to be up on Gracenote until the official release date.

Edited by Chuck Nessa

Just got the Ira Sullivan and the Hal Russell in the mail (thanks Chuck) and have listened to the Ira. Haven't A/B-ed it with the Flyrish Fish LP yet, but it's as though I've never heard this music before -- what back then seemed a bit too loose at times now strikes me as delightfully fluid and mercurial, a trip (as they used to say), an adventure.

I would guess that Ira had Miles of "Bitches Brew" and beyond somewhere in his mind, though Ira is so much himself that the music is all his own. Also, I didn't recall how INTENSE this music is (the rhythm section, for example, is on fire, Jodie Christian in particular). In fact, time (and what I would guess, again without comparing it to the LP yet) and a magical (and perhaps tricky) job of remastering suggests that what was happening in October 1978 was a forecast of what was destined to fully flower and be fully heard in 2014.

I wondered what you would think Larry. Maybe you could send me more reactions (maybe by email) after comparing with the Fish lp.

Thanks to those ordering today - they will all be mailed in the morning.

Shoot -- I just looked on the shelves and for some damn reason the Flying Fish LP isn't there. So I guess I can't do a comparison. OTOH, I listened again to the CD in the car today and enjoyed the heck out of it once more. Scratch the Miles comparison, though -- or at least I think so; the fluidity -- e.g. solos flowing into and under each other -- that's so striking to me here actually is present to a good degree on Ira's Parker Memorial Concert at the Birdhouse album from 1962 or so (with Jodie and Wilbur on board).

BTW, Dan Shapera plays his ass off.

Regarding the Ira Sullivan:

I hadn't realised the cover photo was the same as on the LP. My copy has always been dominated by a huge Flying Fish sticker. The music is as good as it always was. For some reason it sounds more coherent. I think it's because the bass lines are a touch more prominent on the new CD than on the LP. Perhaps it's something else but the music seams to have greater heft that makes it easier on the ear. I'm rather taken by the unreleased Blues for Johnny Bratton which I'd have included over the multi-tracked Monday's Dance ( I have a problem with multi tracking ). In fairness they're very different tracks and I can see how the modal BfJB it's quite like the others.

Just listened to the reissued with added tracks Hal Russell. My gosh! I was reminded once more of the remarkable clarity and -- this may sound crazy, given Russell's wildman reputation -- orderliness of this music. Yes, it often is near unbelievably intense, but there's not a wasted gesture.

Regarding the Ira Sullivan:

I hadn't realised the cover photo was the same as on the LP. My copy has always been dominated by a huge Flying Fish sticker. The music is as good as it always was. For some reason it sounds more coherent. I think it's because the bass lines are a touch more prominent on the new CD than on the LP. Perhaps it's something else but the music seams to have greater heft that makes it easier on the ear. I'm rather taken by the unreleased Blues for Johnny Bratton which I'd have included over the multi-tracked Monday's Dance ( I have a problem with multi tracking ). In fairness they're very different tracks and I can see how the modal BfJB it's quite like the others.

The 9.6 minute "Blues for Johnny Bratton" could not have replaced the 6.3 minute "Monday's Dance" for simple physical reasons - the program was already long and the extra minutes would not fit on an lp.

I think Ira's "multi-tracked" performance is just dandy.

Just listened to the reissued with added tracks Hal Russell. My gosh! I was reminded once more of the remarkable clarity and -- this may sound crazy, given Russell's wildman reputation -- orderliness of this music. Yes, it often is near unbelievably intense, but there's not a wasted gesture.

Hal was a "band leader" from the early days.

Hal's admiration of Artie Shaw and Jimmie Lunceford raises it's head. How many musicians are "informed" by Shaw AND Ayler.

Edited by Chuck Nessa