The Nessa Juggernaut rolls on

• Replies 623
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ira Sullivan just ordered 60 pieces.

I've listened as carefully as I can to comparethe CD v LP of Ira's session. The sound of the CD is a clear winner. Cymbals are less splashy and one dimensional on the CD. Bass sounds from bass drum and the bass itself are much clearer , previously they sounded quite feint. The balance between the instruments sounds more natural or realistic. What was slightly disjointed on the LP sounds more coherent. Overall on the CD it is much easier to hear the music as intended. I'm loving the music all the more for these noticeable improvements. No wonder Mr Sullivan's pleased.

Next up Generation.

I got two Sullivan discs in mine; one must be his....

just kidding of course, and I am amazed by this stuff. Sullivan remains to me the free-est bebopper ever. Wow; just a master player and one who could show Wynton and the gang a thing or two about how to keep this music real.

Love Russell, as always. Another good example (at least to me) of how to use more open concepts in a way that keeps them from bogging down with free-jazz cliches.

both of these sound like they could have been made last week.

Edited by AllenLowe

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...