The Nessa Juggernaut rolls on

• Replies 623
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I'd just like to the point out that I obtained a copy of the Bradford/Stevens disc yesterday, and the sound is phenomenal. I hadn't heard these sessions, but I am familiar with other recordings by iterations of this band, and this is clearly the only time I think I've ever really heard the sonic "impact" of the group. Julie Tippetts and Ron Herman are, here, lucid and animate in a way that I had not anticipated; I recall a review of the RVG of Dolphy's Out to Lunch that referred to the sound of Richard Davis's bass as "holographic," and that certainly applies to the voice and bass on this recording. Better still is that, especially in comparison to some of the musically fantastic but sonically dreadful Stevens/Watts reissues that have cropped up out of FMR, the drums have a more noticeable punch and dynamism. I didn't think it was possible for a remastering job to so totally affect the way that I hear a group of musicians, but just on first impressions I may prop this up next to No Fear and the first Amalgam disc as my favorite "aggressive" John Stevens album.

• 2 weeks later...

Chuck, any chance you could post the large cover art files for your reissues in this thread, like you did for the Charles Tyler and Leo Smith reissues that came out earlier this year? Those were nice to use for itunes and the ipod cover art. Thanks!

By the way, I'm greatly enjoying Congliptious...great music! Can't wait for the Bowie.

The re-mastering of the solo pieces, even from the box set, on the Roscoe is fairly amazing. If you compare the original lp versions, with all that tape bleed through, especially on the solo saxophone piece, to this new version -- it puts the attention back on the music which, like a few of the performances on Nonaah, are great examples of Mitchell taking a simple theme and abstracting it to overblown proportions and then returning to ground, with a purity and control that belies the chop stretching, non-standard techniques which just tumbled by.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This should be available in about a month.

51rI9CD53RL._SS500_.jpg

"Chicago saxophone legend Von Freeman took his working band to Europe for a triumphant appearance at Jazzfest Berlin, Halloween night, 2002. This recording contains the complete performance of his New Apartment Lounge Quartet from that evening. Festival artistic director John Corbett described the performance as 'a stunning toboggan ride of a concert, bringing some of the funky intimacy of the Chicago club to the German city'. He added 'Over the course of four long pieces, Freeman established his authority without question'."

Recorded at Jazzfest Berlin, October 31, 2002

w/ Mike Allemana - guitar, Jack Zara - bass and Michael Raynor - drums

The quartet plays Vonski Speaks, Darn That Dream, Summertime and Blues for Sunnyland.