Chuck Nessa

The Nessa Juggernaut rolls on

625 posts in this topic

Thanks. We try to make our packages at least interesting and this one works. The painting is by Eleanor Cohen, a Chicago artist active in the '40s. Image courtesy of Corbett & Dempsey, Package design by Carla Nessa.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Thanks. We try to make our packages at least interesting and this one works. The painting is by Eleanor Cohen, a Chicago artist active in the '40s. Image courtesy of Corbett & Dempsey, Package design by Carla Nessa.

It could be several places on the El, but it reminds me of underneath the El right by the Sheridan stop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hear you - could be several places. More images by the artist at Corbett & Dempsey. We had a few to choose from and they are all worthy.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chuck Nessa said:

I hear you - could be several places. More images by the artist at Corbett & Dempsey. We had a few to choose from and they are all worthy.

 

I used to try to combine a stop at Dusty Groove with a peek at what was on at Corbett & Dempsey -- quite a cool little gallery. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The cd plant just notified me of shipment of ncd-39 - it should be on the website shortly and will be available to ship on Monday. I should note Amazon has a great sale price for a pre-order, if you have Prime.

51mr64egk4L.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today is the official release date for Nick and Tomeka's Signaling.

Also of note, the City of Chicago has disclosed the Pritzker Pavilion headliners for the 2017 Chicago Jazz Festival. Of particular interest to the label is the opening program on Sunday Sept. 3.

https://www.cityofchicago.org/city/en/depts/dca/supp_info/chicago_jazz_festival13.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Today is the official release date for Nick and Tomeka's Signaling.

Also of note, the City of Chicago has disclosed the Pritzker Pavilion headliners for the 2017 Chicago Jazz Festival. Of particular interest to the label is the opening program on Sunday Sept. 3.

https://www.cityofchicago.org/city/en/depts/dca/supp_info/chicago_jazz_festival13.html

Yes!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Today is the official release date for Nick and Tomeka's Signaling.

Also of note, the City of Chicago has disclosed the Pritzker Pavilion headliners for the 2017 Chicago Jazz Festival. Of particular interest to the label is the opening program on Sunday Sept. 3.

https://www.cityofchicago.org/city/en/depts/dca/supp_info/chicago_jazz_festival13.html

Now that is good news indeed.  You deserve the tribute.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Today is the official release date for Nick and Tomeka's Signaling.

Also of note, the City of Chicago has disclosed the Pritzker Pavilion headliners for the 2017 Chicago Jazz Festival. Of particular interest to the label is the opening program on Sunday Sept. 3.

https://www.cityofchicago.org/city/en/depts/dca/supp_info/chicago_jazz_festival13.html

Congrats Chuck! That's very exciting!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats on both counts Chuck. Looking forward to getting my copy of Signaling from Amazon Japan as soon as they get some more stock in. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congratulations - a well deserved tribute to Nessa Records, to Roscoe Mitchell, and to your collaborations over the years..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Signalling" is a great disc and keeps up the very high standards of the label. 

I'm case anyone is hesitating over the Air Time LP repress, my advice would be - don't hesitate. The music is desert island stuff as most will know but the new pressing is simply superb. Totally silent background allowing the music to shine. Highly recommended. 

Congrats to Chuck on all fronts. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Roscoe's Quartets at the fest will be:

Quartet 1 – Roscoe’s first group reconvened – Fred Berry, Alvin Fielder and Junius Paul subbing for Malachi Favors
Quartet 2 – Roscoe’s “Chicago Quartet” - Tomeka Reid, Junius Paul and Vincent Davis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congratulations to Chuck Nessa !!! Recognition well-deserved. This event is worth the trip to Chicago!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now something for the collectors/diehards. This Fall, in celebration of our 50th anniversary, we will be issuing a cd of Lester Bowie's Numbers 1 & 2 as edited/presented for the original issue. This program has not been available since vinyl died in the '80s and has never been on cd.

18198525_1539885249409363_68941425896519

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure I can go this year, but it looks like the year to go. Congrats.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A lot of Nessa titles are on backorder at Importcds and WowHD. Is this a temporary matter or are certain titles going OOP? (Or is it perhaps your aim to keep all titles in print?)

Edited by erwbol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, erwbol said:

A lot of Nessa titles are on backorder at Importcds and WowHD. Is this a temporary matter or are certain titles going OOP? (Or is it perhaps your aim to keep all titles in print?)

Everything is in print and in stock here. I just checked with City Hall Records (my national distributor) and they have all but one title in stock today. 

Sigh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.